LaunchBox Community Forums

USB ports fail in BigBox

FakedPotato

When i'm in BigBox and launch Dolphin, after about 30 mins of gameplay I get error message that the disc is unreadable and look up to find my keyboard, mouse, everything that is plugged in via usb port malfunctions and stops working completely and I have to turn the PC on and off.

Im not sure if its BigBox, Dolphin, or anything. I am using a USB hub I connect my 3 controllers to, its a cheaper walmart model. Not sure if that would be it either. I have it connected to a 10 foot USB extension cord.

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on it or similar issues. It was pretty embarrassing last night when trying to show off my build to my friends!

I would guess this issue is a combination of the hub and the extension cable. USB extensions of that length are usually pretty bad as data and power has to be transmitted down the cable, so the longer the cable the more degradation you will get. Also is the hub powered? if it just runs off of the usb power that will also cause issues especially with a 10 foot extension cable.

I had a feeling it was most likely that. I was thinking since it only happens in dolphin it somehow could of been the emulator? xD

Is there anything I can do about that? Maybe a better hub and a shorter cable? Im trying to find the best solution when having 4 wired

controllers and friends over at the house. Thanks for your reply, btw.

I wouldn't of thought it would be down to the emulator to be honest all its doing is receiving controller inputs.

You could try some thing like what I link below, if you have a long USB extension you ideally want a "active repeater" built in as this should amplify the data and power over longer lengths, also if the hub doesn't plug into the mains I would suggest one that does, at the moment you are trying to send power and data over 10 foot to a single USB port, USB ports don't supply a huge amount of power and yours is having to travel 10 foot and then power 4 devices at the end of it. I have a 4 port USB hub that is not powered and I don't really use it as when I plug more than one thing into it, or add a USB hard drive it doesn't send enough power to power the drive, and that is without adding a extension to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Extension-Amplification-Keyboards-loudspeakers/dp/B00B2HP2UI/ref=pd_sim_23_4?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=SAJ0BTX20C5MAP5JX4WD&th=1

• Like 1

did you try going to device manager in Windows and trying to find the hub. Then go to properties for some devices there will be an option to check a box to tell it to never power down. Right click the device and then the option should be under power management.

• Like 1