LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox through steamlink app with one s controller?

hippoposthumous

So, I'm trying to figure out the best way to get launchbox to my TV (in another room).

I have a newer Samsung TV. There is a Steam Link App that replicates an actual Steam Link, no hardware required. I also have an Xbox One S (the one with Bluetooth Controllers). Has anyone used that combination effectively? Holding off on Big Box until I know it works without a lot of delay.

I have a very fast PC and Network, so there shouldn't be any bottlenecks there. Still, I'm worried about input lag ruining games, but there's not really any way to test it without buying it. Getting an HDMI cable from the PC to the TV is not practical (I live in an apartment and can't drill through walls to route cables).

Thanks!

I know Steamlink itself and Steam Home Steaming between PC's works fine especially if you have a wired connection but I've never even heard they had TV apps to do this so I've never heard of any ones experience with it through BB.

Just an update... it works! But it's a bit wonky.

First, the controller has to be connected (via cable or bluetooth) to the TV's breakout box (which has USB ports), NOT to the PC.

Second, the TV's steamlink app just mirrors everything on the PC screen... and continues to control the PC as well. I'm not sure if this is the same behavior as the actual steamlink hardware. I assumed that the TV would run Steam, but the PC would still be useable (i.e. it would multitask) but the PC monitor mirrors the TV. Even after exiting out of steam, the connection is maintained, and you see the PC desktop on the TV. It's inelegant but does the job.

Finally, there are several potential conflicts between button mapping in steam, in launchbox, and in the emulator itself (I dislike retroarch, but I'm using it for simplicity at the moment).

The emulators seem fairly responsive, no major lag. This changes once you enter the GUI for the emulator; it gets heavy slowdown. It's not taxing the network or the PC, but I think it's just not optimized for my setup.

Running steam itself seems fine. The combination seems one layer of inception too deep. I had hoped to use my (brand new, powerful, home built) PC for emulation on the TV, but I will probably go back to my old atom-based Zotac and keep it to 16 bit and earlier, for now. I do wish there were an easy, elegant way to get bigbox on the TV, without steamlink and without lag.

1 minute ago, hippoposthumous said:

Second, the TV's steamlink app just mirrors everything on the PC screen... and continues to control the PC as well. I'm not sure if this is the same behavior as the actual steamlink hardware. I assumed that the TV would run Steam, but the PC would still be useable (i.e. it would multitask) but the PC monitor mirrors the TV. Even after exiting out of steam, the connection is maintained, and you see the PC desktop on the TV. It's inelegant but does the job.

Yes this is how steam in home streaming always works, if you are playing a game the PC will be tied up and unusable at the time. Controllers also are connected to the client not the PC.

• 7 months later...

So I have a setup similar to this.  I'm using steamlink hardware, with an Xbox controller dongle, with virtual here running.  Virtual here passes the USB back to the computer making my PC think that it is directly connected.  I have a link to bigbox setup in Steam, you have to make sure launchbox isn't running or bigbox will never open up through big picture.  I can also launch xbox streaming and play xbox one games as well.  Make sure you don't turn on controller support in steam, it makes the controller emulate keyboard and mouse functions and that will cause button mapping issues.

To take this to the next level I added Parsec to my gaming rig and I can stream games to any PC or cell phone as well as invite people to play multiplayer games over the internet.  Online multiplayer with retro console games.