LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME CORE in RA , and Aspect Ratio

dov_EL

Using MAME's core in Retroarch is really amazing because it allows us to use DirectX12 or Vulkan, as well as DirectX11.

I solved the problem of the commands, setting the commands in the retroarch with F1 -> Input -> Set the commands in retroarch, set DirectX, Save the separate settings example mame.cfg . Enter again in the retroarch - Press TAB -> enter MAME - Configure the commands for THIS GAME, go back to the retroarch and save the CORE overide and not Game overide .

Ok , now the problem is : 
Fullscreen tends to maximize everything , 

if I go with F1 in retroarch, I fix the aspect ratio, every time I close and re-open the game, the aspect Ration I lose it again, and it goes completely to full screen.

I do not think I'm making a mistake, I know pretty well retroarch ... how are you doing?

1 hour ago, Replay said:

Not using RA for MAME.

Cheats don't work and even if you set global inputs in the MAME UI they get reset and don't stick when you launch a new game.

No , inputs work , You must do this:

From launchbox it creates a configuration file, in tools - emulaters - retroarch - (example) Aracde 2 - Arcade -L "cores \ mame_libretro.dll" -c "mame.cfg" .

Now go to random Aracde game in Launchbox  - right click, edit - 

Open Game -  F1 - set DirecX11 or 12 or whatever you want , Full screen etc. 
QUIT (autosave ) 
Open game again . 
F1 - > DIsable AUtoSave , go to INPUTS , set inputs (Up-down Selct= Coin , Start = 1player etc. ) 
Now , F1 Again ,  TAB , SET INPUT FOR THIS GAME (not all game) , set the commands as you wish , TAB, and F1 again , SAVE CORE OVERIDE . 

And now commands work . 

2018-03-12 16_00_23-LaunchBox Premium - In Licenza a Domenico.png

Edited by dovella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

The Mame core saves your controller setups automatically per game just like in regular Mame, using the "Tab" menu. The individual cfgs are saved in

\Retroarch\saves\MAME\mame\cfg

......with Xbox or PlayStation controller , not with controller forum bartop

7 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Works fine with my arcade cabinet controllers. The bartops and the standup. 

No , It works well if we perform the procedure I described in the other, otherwise not all the encoders are recognized with the MAME commands already preconfigured in retroarch .

Then you need to configure each game, otherwise it happens that if we move from a NEOGO title to a CAPCOM title, the general configuration is lost. It is therefore preferable to configure each game individually with the TAB in MAME, and then make CORE OVERIDE (Non game overide).

Trust me, I beat my head 2 days to find the solution.

However, I still can not understand if any of you know the solution to ASPECT RATIO

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dovella said:

No , It works well if we perform the procedure I described in the other, otherwise not all the encoders are recognized with the MAME commands already preconfigured in retroarch .

Then you need to configure each game, otherwise it happens that if we move from a NEOGO title to a CAPCOM title, the general configuration is lost. It is therefore preferable to configure each game individually with the TAB in MAME, and then make CORE OVERIDE (Non game overide).

Trust me, I beat my head 2 days to find the solution.

However, I still can not understand if any of you know the solution to ASPECT RATIO

You should probably share what type of encoder you are using than so those that have the same one will know to do what you did. With my iPac and the Xarcade I simply launch a game and hit Tab and set everything up just like I would in standalone mame. Under the \saves\Mame folder RA will generate a default.cfg as well as inidividual game .cfg files if you set specific machine controls. RA retains and launches those controls regardless of what is set in the RA input menu.

For the aspect ratio I cannot say. I have mine set to core provided and no matter what game I launch it launches as it should. Are you using a custom aspect or just "core provided"?

11 minutes ago, dovella said:

Ipac is a Keyboard .

No, no custom aspect. :/ . Sooner or later you will find a solution

yeah I have the iPac. The Xarcade is a keyboard as well so I am not sure why the normal Mame configuration in RA is not working for you. 

Can you post a couple pics of what a game looks like and pics of your video settings? Maybe I can replicate it on my test pc.