LaunchBox Community Forums

Cannot start Coleco games

Soulace

Hi I have imported some coleco game roms, selected platform as Colecovision, selected colecovision under retroarch area  so it is running the mess_libretto core that came with it

start game then hourglass spins a bit then nothing.

now your video uses MAME renamed mess so I presume LB 8.1 had this in it already which are the options I choose above.

Now I have a bios file here which I have renamed coleco.rom whichis 8KB and also coleco.zip 6K in the retrorach/system folder but no go

What am I doing wrong?

I 2nd bbweiners suggestion.  While I expect Mame will work fine for Coleco games I found it was much easier to setup and use the BlueMSX core in RetroArch to get my coleco games up and running.  Of course if you're used to the intricacies of Mame then it might be just as easy for you to use that... for me Mame is an emulator I don't like using for anything other than my Arcade roms (and that's just because it's the best emulator for Arcade roms at the moment).

They both work well and definitely a preference thing. Mame is actually a breeze. Just point it to the folder where the roms are, make sure in the roms folder you have the coleco bios zip and make sure you have the following command line in launchbox associated platforms tab for ColecoVision: coleco -cart