LaunchBox Community Forums

Question About BigBox User License

Wonderboy

I'm wondering if I buy the LaunchBox premium (forever) license for $50, can I use it on multiple PC's and devices in my home for the one $50 price? Also, can I run Bigbox on a RetroPi 3?

And one last thing, does the premium license include the ability to scrape HD videos of all the games and see them in a variety of layouts, because standard launchbox doesnt seem to show any videos, just text and pictures on that crappy thin sidebar on the right. I selected SD movies when I scraped my NES collection and inclded my emumovies login (mine is just a free account) but it seems that feature (game videos) is locked out ov thd standard Launchbox version.

If you buy a premium license you can use on as many of your personal systems as you want, the only thing we don't allow is sharing it with friends or family. Launchbox/Bigbox are Windows only, so no it wont work on a Raspberry pi.

The Premium license will allow you to download platform videos from within the program, but the actual game videos are not supplied by us, they are provided by emumovies and you will need to have a subscription from them in order to get game movies, the images are provided free of charge but videos need a paid subscription with emumovies. If you do decide to go for that you can enter your details in Launchbox and you will then have the option to download game videos when you import or after the fact if you already have systems imported.

Hope that helps.

5 hours ago, neil9000 said:

If you buy a premium license you can use on as many of your personal systems as you want, the only thing we don't allow is sharing it with friends or family. Launchbox/Bigbox are Windows only, so no it wont work on a Raspberry pi.

The Premium license will allow you to download platform videos from within the program, but the actual game videos are not supplied by us, they are provided by emumovies and you will need to have a subscription from them in order to get game movies, the images are provided free of charge but videos need a paid subscription with emumovies. If you do decide to go for that you can enter your details in Launchbox and you will then have the option to download game videos when you import or after the fact if you already have systems imported.

Hope that helps.

Thankyou for your reply this has been very helpful, very good to hear I can run multiple copies under the same licence this is great! its a shame there is no Pi version, but Im glad I know now.

Im wondering if, when I purchase premium launchbox, can I still just download standard definition videos (instead of the hd ones) from emumovies through launchbox if I am registered with them for thier free content?

Also, one other thing I am curious about please, do you guys provide any content (box art, title logos etc) or is it all coming from emumovies? 

Edited by Wonderboy

You can not download any game videos from Launchbox with the free emumovies account, you are free to download them yourself from the emumovies website, but you will be limited to the low quality ones and with a bandwidth speed cap and a per day gigabyte limit. If you pay them they will be available from within Launchbox and at the higher quality.

As for box art, clear logos and such, they come from both ourselves and emumovies, you can specify which you would prefer in the import wizard and the update metadata and images wizard, you can specify one over the other or just grab everything from both services.

No its not identical and it can be tough knowing which one to choose some time. If you have the checkboxes say for boxes checked in both you will get both the LB version and the EM version so it can lead to you having many duplicates which then you need to figure out how to proceed from there.

4 hours ago, DOS76 said:

No its not identical and it can be tough knowing which one to choose some time. If you have the checkboxes say for boxes checked in both you will get both the LB version and the EM version so it can lead to you having many duplicates which then you need to figure out how to proceed from there.

Thanks, so for example, LB just puts all the box art from both sources into one folder on your hardrive and you need to go through and sort them out yourself? Are they named in a way that shows the source? If there are 2 box art (one from each source) pictures for 1 game, which one does LB choose to display as you go through your games?

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

Thanks, so for example, LB just puts all the box art from both sources into one folder on your hardrive and you need to go through and sort them out yourself?

It will add all the media types to their own folders so all box fronts will be in the box front folder all box backs will be in their own folder all 3d boxes the same all the way down the line. You can go in and clean out dupes but I usually don't bother totally up to the user.

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Are they named in a way that shows the source?

They are not it won't tell you where they came from

5 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

If there are 2 box art (one from each source) pictures for 1 game, which one does LB choose to display as you go through your games?

I don't know how it determines which one to display

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

You can go in and clean out dupes but I usually don't bother totally up to the user.

This is what I thought, have to do it manually.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

They are not it won't tell you where they came from

That is unfortunate, something like EMU or LB at the start would be handy I suppose.

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

I don't know how it determines which one to display

Mysterious indeed, maybe it goes off of date or something. It would be nice to see an option within LB to show alternate artwork, wether it be from another website source or artwork you made yourself. But I guess at this stage you would have to just manually delete other versions so it has to display the art file you prefer.

Thanks dos76

Edited by Wonderboy