LaunchBox Community Forums

A variety of questions

DerHof2007

Good Morning.... a few questions here...

I updated from mame 147 to 195.

LEDBlinky requires a mame.xml ...when I generate it, it's 212 meg... previous one for 147 was still 133meg. I know these will get smaller the further back you go but I need a more current version of mame for certain games.
Can I generate a file based on the roms I actually have? I only have a little under 200

The big problem is since it's so big if I have LEDBlinky preload it then it throws my light timing off for the initial LB launch.
If I don't preload it the first time I select the MAME platform it must wait until then to load because my lighting is thrown off for a good 30 seconds at that point.
If I had an xml for only what I need it would probably be under 5 meg.

I'd like to compare artwork on many of my games as I also use a lot of custom artwork that I either modified myself or stuff that is not going to be scraped.
So when I go to a folder like 'Box 3D' for example in image view, and want to compare what is there. Its a PIA when LB has files in the root folder, North America, United States, World, Etc.
Is there a way to prevent it from using these folders?

While on the subject of the image folder scheme... is there a way to eliminate folders and keep them gone? For example for console systems there is no use for any of the 'Arcade' folders and ...with Arcade there is no use for many of the 'Box' and 'Cart' folders. This is just added clutter that gets in the way us OCD people!!
I've deleted these folders but they are just regenerated by LB.

Is there a way to stop the intro video if desired? In Hyperspin simply hitting any control would cut the intro short and go straight into launch. I plan on using various intros maybe as long as a minute and sometimes I just want the thing to boot up instead of watching the intro...

#3.1

Any way to have multiple intro videos used randomly?

#3.2

Is there a way to eliminate the "Initializing Big Box" speech? Using LEDBlinky I insert my own speech upon start up... kind of interfere with each other.

Is there any way to print or save a game audit screen?

Is there any way to combine platforms? What I'm thinking is specifically Daphne/Arcade(MAME) since Daphne games are actually arcade games. I'll probably only use 2 or 3 Daphne games and it would actually be more convenient to just have them listed under arcade with my MAME games. So... possible to have games in the same platform use different emulators?

Is there any way to change the 'favorites' icon? It looks like a deck of Bicycle playing cards. I think I can definitely come up with something better to put in its place.

I think that is it for the moment... thanks for any help.

2 minutes ago, Charco said:

I think the wall of text may have been an issue :P

I thought about that when I posted it, lol....

Maybe I'll split it into separate posts later!!

It doesn't look so bad on a computer where I typed it... if you are reading a phone though... I'd have probable skipped it myself!... but forums aren't for phones!!!

Edited by DerHof2007

I can answer some of these but not all.

1. No idea sorry.

2. Launchbox will always regenerate the folders if you delete them.

3. Yes to all.

4. it can be copy pasted into a spreadsheet program like excel.

5. Depends on whether you imported as a platform or if you had Launchbox make them as Playlists.

6. Yes I think so it would be in the default theme image folder.

• Thanks 1

I'll try and answer what I can here:

#2 - there is currently no way to stop LB regenerating the folders as far as I am aware.

#3 - Yes, once Big Box has loaded in the background you can stop an intro video by pressing the "Accept" button on your controller or Enter on your keyboard

#3.1 - Yes, create a folder in you LB folder called Startup and place your intro videos there, it will choose them randomly on startup.

#3.2 - yes, go into the Sounds folder and either delete the startup sound or change the filename, then it will not play on startup.

#5 - if these games are already in your arcade platform you can simply delete the Daphne playlist (or any arcade playlist) if you wish

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I can answer some of these but not all.

4. it can be copy pasted into a spreadsheet program like excel.

6. Yes I think so it would be in the default theme image folder.

For some reason the copy and paste wasn't working for me before.
4. I'll have to give that another shot.

6. As for the default theme image folder I don't see it in there. I literally looked in every folder before this post.,,,

8 minutes ago, Charco said:

#3 - Yes, once Big Box has loaded in the background you can stop an intro video by pressing the "Accept" button on your controller or Enter on your keyboard

#3.1 - Yes, create a folder in you LB folder called Startup and place your intro videos there, it will choose them randomly on startup.

#3.2 - yes, go into the Sounds folder and either delete the startup sound or change the filename, then it will not play on startup.

#5 - if these games are already in your arcade platform you can simply delete the Daphne playlist (or any arcade playlist) if you wish

3. Cool thanks... I think I simply tried the joystick.
3.1 Ok, I was assuming it had to be called 'startup'' and would only use that one.
3.2 Simple enough.... I'll also check for the option like neil9000 said.

5. Sounds good.

Thanks guys!

I'll some more research on the mame.xml thing and post if I have any luck.

Only other thing left is finding that favorites icon....

Well, nothing working for me except the audit page so far... I just had to do a 'ctrl-c' for the copy.... no option when I right click.

As for skipping the intro... not working. I hit my main select button as well as return... then basically every key there is...  no stopping it.

As for eliminating the 'Welcome to Big Box' sound byte... I renamed the 'Startup' sound file and it regenerated a fresh one with the original name....
There is also nothing for this in tools>options.... actually don't see the word 'sound' anywhere in options.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

the option for sound is in bigbox not launchbox. As for the skipping the video it works just fine for me, you do of course have to wait for bigbox to load before it can be skipped.

Ahhh, gotcha on the sound. I foresee me substituting custom sounds for the startup/navigation :-)

As for skipping the intro... perhaps the computer I'm testing this out on isn't launching BB faster than the length of the video.
I'll swap it out for a longer one later and see what happens.

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, DerHof2007 said:

As for skipping the intro... perhaps the computer I'm testing this out on isn't launching BB faster than the length of the video.
I'll swap it out for a longer one later and see what happens.

That's quite possible, if the program is still loading then there is nothing to skip to so it wont until loaded.

I need to head out so I'll have to mess with this more later.
But not having luck with the whole intro video thing.

I stuck a 2 minute video in there. Tried every key on the keyboard. It played the whole video.... 10x + what it needs to launch BB.
The random video thing isn't working for me either.

1 hour ago, Charco said:

I tried multiple videos in the original videos folder... wont play anything except a file named exactly 'startup'

created a folder called 'Startup'.... moved the files from the default folder to this new folder.... plays nothing.