LaunchBox Community Forums

general input issue

shady8knight

Hi guys, i thought to see the goal but it seems the problems never end. Finished placing all emulators, roms, isos, ahk, joytokey, everything at his place and i'm on testing before to mount everything on my cabinet. Something incredible happens..... i test bigbox opening various roms and isos from various emulators. Everything's fine until at a same point some emulator doesn't work anymore with controller input.....!!!!!! Not after the same time, non after doing the same operation, just sometimes but often. And not all the emulators, just someone!!! I really don't undestand why? does anyone have some suggestion about it...?

Frontend: Bigbox.

Emulators: Mame64, fceux, pinball fx2, snes9x, project64, model2emulator, epsxe, kega fusion, demul, dolphin, visualboyadvance, retroarch, pce, ppsspp.

In backroud running: ahk script file from document folder with buttons input hotkey to esc/close the emulators and exit bigbox/shutdown windows, and joytokey for pinball fx2 controller mapping.

The issue exist both in bigbox than in launchbox.

Please, help, i thought to be at the end........

19 minutes ago, IlhanK said:

Your input issues derive from Hardware / OS driver level. They are not related to BigBox / LaunchBox.

What kind of input hardware do you have attached to your system?

I suppose it is related to the input hardware or to some bug that runs somewhere. I attached two arcade stick selfmade. They are in the same usb port since i started the project. Windows recognize them perfectly and theay have always worked fine. If the issue appears, i get out from bigbox and i test them on windows the test is perfect, if i run bigbox again and try to start the emulator that didn't worked it doesn't work again. If i turn off the system or restart it and run bigbox everything's perfect. Incredible......!!! Don't know where the problem should be.....!

Edited by shady8knight

So they are being recognized as Direct-Input devices. You may want to test within joy.cpl if button presses are recognized in the first place. If that works, we have ruled out some issues on a basic level.

What emulators specifically are causing problems?

Please close any frontends, apps and scripts that may interfere and hook into your joystick inputs. Start up the concerning emulators, set up your joysticks and try out some games.

If that works fine, the issue may lie within a script or a middleware app. Joy2Keys profile-based app detection can be a bit wonky at times (provided you use that feature at all). It may stop working in the middle of playing a game. You also could post your AHK script just to check if its fine.

What you could also do is to play your games as usual (with all frontends, scripts, and apps running) and wait for that input issue to happen. As soon as it happens, immediately open joy.cpl and check if it reacts to controller button presses at all.

First of all thanks for your answers.... this afternoon i've done thousands attempts.....

1) the issue appear even if joytokey and autohotkey are not running. i launched only bigbox whithout script or background apps running and the issue appear the same. so the problem is not joytokey, not the script of autohotkey.

2) when the issue appear and i test the controller input on windows everything is fine

3) if i try to remap the controller on the singles emulators that have this issue out of bigbox in the moment it appears they don't work. i press the buttons to assign the input but it doesn't recognizes it right.

4) when the issue appears the system corrupted are always the same:

gamegear/master system/genesis/sega 32x/sega cd ----- Kega Fusion as emulator

sega model 2 ----- model2emulator as emulator

turbografx-16 ----- magic engine as emulator

The others systems and emulators continue working fine. Where is the problem......? Wanna cry........ 

If you really made sure that no 3rd party apps interfere between these emulators and your input devices, then only two options remain:

Either it is some sort of hardware defect or its the emulators.

You could temporarily replace your joysticks with some other controllers, for example xbox gamepads. Check if that makes any difference. Testing out other USB ports wouldn't hurt either.

Also, Kega Fusion and Magic Engine are really old and haven't been updated for a long time, so there are somewhat deprecated. The Model 2 Emulator also tends to run unstable on some systems. Newer emulators may have less issues reading input commands. At least the Sega CD and the Turbografx are supported by Retroarch.

Another option would be to set up Joy2Key profiles for these troublesome emulators. Within the emulators you'd setup your keyboard as input and then let Joy2Key translate your joystick presses into keyboard strokes.

Edited by IlhanK

Hi, here i am again as promise. Firt half: IlhanK vs. MyCabinet 1 - 0. Explanations......

Done others attempts and everytime when the issue appeared where always those system to be corrupted so we are sure (i suppose) that the problem is emulators/windows10 compatibility. I had two choices, change os and try with Windows 7 or follow your suggestions to repair this situation. Obviously i tried with the second option.

First i moved the sega systems from fusion to retroarch. When the issue appeared the system corrupted where only sega model 2 and turbografx.

Then i mapped turbografx Magic Engine inputs with keyboard and assigned to it a joytokey profile. When the issue appeared the only system corrupted was sega model 2.

In the end i made the same thing done for Magic Engine to Segamodel2Emulator. I tested the system for four hours and the issue didn't appear. 

Today is sunday, tomorrow i'll do a whole day of system running whishing the issue is solved. Let you know. By now, thank you very much.

Edited by shady8knight

19 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Can I ask why you just don't change Turbografx over to RetroArch like you did for all the Sega stuff?

Sure, for just one reason, there are games that need 6 button configuration for turbografx (street fighter II for example). Retroarch has a switch button that change 2/6 button configuration (L2 for default) that if you accidentally press during a game it tilts the input game. Magic Engine manage this change by itself and you don't need to do it manually. That's the only reason.

6 hours ago, Fablog said:

I did have weird problems with my U360. I tried many things during months and at the end I made a fresh installation of Windows 10 and all is working now. Just my 2 cents!

I believe that, now i'm on testing, if everything runs fine I prefer do not a new os installation. Hope so it is. Thank you for answering.