LaunchBox Community Forums

fix the installer's cancelling directx installation

Elmazz

Not really that much of a nuisance, but every time I update to a new beta, The installer asks me if I want to install DirectX. I click no and it gives me an error message, rather than just finishing the installation. Again, not a major bug, but a bug nevertheless in my opinion. :P 

Edited by Elmazz

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Clicking no is the cause of the error as the installer that LB is requiring isn't running to completion. Click yes if you don't want to see the error message. Respectfully this is definitely not a bug.

Why would i want to reinstall directx everytime i want to update launchbox? And if its not a bug, and clicking no makes the installer not going to completion, why would it let me select yes or no? :P Sounds like one of those weird "its a feature" arguments to me :P 

Edited by Elmazz

I have experienced a lot of installers, and most of them just have an option of ticking the additional software (like directx), so it gets installed or not, and it doesnt give you an error, if you untick it. Maybe you could do it that way then.

An option at the start or an option at the end of the installation would be the same, if not less (when there was no error), time wasteful. :P

Edited by Elmazz

Yeah that part has nothing to do with me and I guess an option to not download DX would probably prevent that but really I assume if you choose yes it probably just checks the latest version against what you have. If it needs to download something it does if not it just finishes At least  that is how running the DX installer from MS works, if you have the newest version it just tells you so and it doesn't install anything. I imagine most of the users just let it run.

2 hours ago, DOS76 said:

Yeah that part has nothing to do with me and I guess an option to not download DX would probably prevent that but really I assume if you choose yes it probably just checks the latest version against what you have. If it needs to download something it does if not it just finishes At least  that is how running the DX installer from MS works, if you have the newest version it just tells you so and it doesn't install anything. I imagine most of the users just let it run.

Yes. The only way to check if DirectX is installed is to run that installer, which requires admin rights. I have removed that DirectX check for updates in the past, but all it did was cause us multiple headaches and end users ended up with errors that they couldn't troubleshoot because of missing DirectX libraries. So as much of a headache as it is to some people, it's staying for good.