LaunchBox Community Forums

Old box sizes option?

DjBlades

The progress being made on Launchbox.Next is great to see, and I'm interested to see what else will come afterwards. Only gripe I have is that with the new sizes for box art, there are large expanses of nothing between games with smaller cases and Disk cases look highly out of place when mixed with other consoles. For instance, this PSP game takes up a significant amount of space all by itself, and doesn't look right surrounded by the smaller square cases.

I much preferred the older style where boxes all seemed to have a smaller vertical limit to their sizes, which kept everything orderly.

Any chance that this could be added back as an option at some point?

Edited by DjBlades
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I second this. For some reason i'm really partial to the way the original launchbox displays the games. I know this is going to sound weird but, the border around the games and the new size makes the collection seem more digital and fake whereas the old display style without the boxes around the games makes it feel more real life, like the games are sitting on the shelf waiting to be played (Told you it would sound weird).

Also when selecting a game and changing systems it's odd how the background for the current game you have selected stays displayed, even when you're on a separate console.  For example if I select Castlevania:SOTN on PSX and then switch to browse my NES collection, the Castlevania background will be displayed until a new game is selected. Old LB would change to the default background, which for some reason I also miss, I like the texture of the dots and how it makes the games "feel". 

Please consider an option for the original LB display style. Thank you thank you. 

20 minutes ago, Rowen said:

I know this is going to sound weird but, the border around the games and the new size makes the collection seem more digital and fake whereas the old display style without the boxes around the games makes it feel more real life, like the games are sitting on the shelf waiting to be played (Told you it would sound weird).

This has been addressed, it will be something that will be an option, Launchbox Next is not finished yet and probably wont be for another 2 official releases such as the 8.3 release today.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:10 AM, DjBlades said:

Only gripe I have is that with the new sizes for box art, there are large expanses of nothing between games with smaller cases

Box size and spacing is actually very similar as to how they were. The difference is in the fact that the images now align to the top and the text below the box is closer compared to the old way of the text being further below the box.

The differences in the screenshots below are due to the scale slider differences.

198872334_2018-06-0702_45_50-XnView-2018-06-0702_42_46-LaunchBox.png.thumb.png.318b7a98aa6537f9976861f9839e6ad3.png989498899_2018-06-0702_46_06-XnView-2018-06-0702_35_56-LaunchBoxPremium-LicensedtoScottSmith.png.thumb.png.a6bc975feb3e0fb657d289d8a4fa146a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

The difference is in the fact that the images now align to the top and the text below the box is closer compared to the old way of the text being further below the box.

I can't believe I didn't notice that, I thought it was a whole new style thing that gave vertical boxes extra length. 

Though from the SNES boxes, it does look like a bit of horizontal space has been lost for the colored borders. If there was just an option to disable the borders and make use of the newly available space, that'd be perfect.

The transparency is better as it gives it some depth, only need then is to make the box height/width the same and have the option to turn the transparency off or on and maybe change the colour of the transparency and maybe change the opacity of it as well.

Edited by wallmachine