LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame CHD's

Micral35

On 5/5/2020 at 6:09 AM, fab1o said:

I created a script that helps unzipping all the CHD 7zipped files to the mame roms folder, correctly unzipping them to the respective folder.

Check it out:

Is there a 'correct' way to unzip these? What is your script does? At the moment I just have them all unzipped to their own folder? Do I need to be doing something different or is there a better way?

Thanks

?

8 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Is there a 'correct' way to unzip these? What is your script does? At the moment I just have them all unzipped to their own folder? Do I need to be doing something different or is there a better way?

Thanks

?

No. And usually they are not zipped in the first place.

9 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

No. And usually they are not zipped in the first place.

Thanks Neil. I currently have them just in their own folder eg. 636jac02.chd is inside a folder called "btltryst". All these folders are inside my "Arcade" folder along with some roms. Am i correct in assuming that this is the "right" way?? Or is there a better / neater / more conventional method?

Cheers

John ?

3 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Thanks Neil. I currently have them just in their own folder eg. 636jac02.chd is inside a folder called "btltryst". All these folders are inside my "Arcade" folder along with some roms. Am i correct in assuming that this is the "right" way?? Or is there a better / neater / more conventional method?

Cheers

John ?

Thats fine, i have a roms folder and a CHD folder myself, but as long as MAME knows where they are you can have them anywhere you like, even mixed together if you wanted.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Thats fine, i have a roms folder and a CHD folder myself, but as long as MAME knows where they are you can have them anywhere you like, even mixed together if you wanted.

I think that's what I'll do - separate them out. I didn't realise you could do that but it makes perfect sense (it also really appeals to my OCD!!) ? 

Thanks (as always) Neil :)

5 hours ago, Johnny T said:

Thanks

?

No, that's how I have them too. That's the "default" way, don't need to be doing anything different. I created the script because I wished I had this script when I first started using mame. I automated this process of downloading all CHDs from archive.org (which are all zipped) and couldn't find any other tool that did that for me. Not sure why they zip them, I guess they do cos some games have multiple CHD files, so zipping them makes more sense so you'd only need to download 1 file instead of multiple ones, but most have just 1 file I guess

Edited by fab1o
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, fab1o said:

No, that's how I have them too. That's the "default" way, don't need to be doing anything different. I created the script because I wished I had this script when I first started using mame. I automated this process of downloading all CHDs from archive.org (which are all zipped) and couldn't find any other tool that did that for me. Not sure why they zip them, I guess they do cos some games have multiple CHD files, so zipping them makes more sense so you'd only need to download 1 file instead of multiple ones, but most have just 1 file I guess

Ahhhh... I didn't realise your script actually downloads the CHDs as well! That would be very very handy. Thanks for your efforts. Everyday, people like you make it a little bit easier for people like me ?

13 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Ahhhh... I didn't realise your script actually downloads the CHDs as well! That would be very very handy. Thanks for your efforts. Everyday, people like you make it a little bit easier for people like me ?

Sorry, the script I posted doesn't do that yet. Right now, to use it you'd have to download them all manually and then run the script. I posted a step by step guide in that thread. It's a  time consuming effort to download them all. But there are other ways in the Internet, like torrents. But with torrents, you have to install a torrent client, you end up seeding the files and there are implications to that. But whatever works right? oh, and I thought about eventually posting the complete script that does all of it combined if I got enough positive feedback, so thank you so much for yours!

Edited by fab1o
  • Like 1