LaunchBox Community Forums

My multi controller dual screen set up! Featuring X-link Kai

Just a video showing off my favorite parts of my set up.
Features:

-Wireless via wii remote multi controller set up if you're in that nostalgia mood

-Alternatively one can use the Xbox one controller if you're feeling lazy (except for Wii/Gamecube I am having issues setting up alternative controllers with Dolphin, so in the meantime I have to use either an oem wii remote or gamecube controller.)

-Press the center button on any controller (Wii remote, PS2, Xboxone) to load/exit big box, holding center buttons turns off controller without exiting or launching.

-Television automatically turns on and tunes into correct HDMI input when launched from controller

-A splash screen with a 5 second timer shows up on monitor before bigbox launches to give me the option of loading big box on to computer monitor instead (in case someone is using the TV screen for something else.)

-Custom X link Kai semi-transparent interface for simulated LAN play over the internet.

-3D printed Gamcube port where a CD drive normally sits in PC (+ wavebirds!)

-BIGBOX UI SHORTCUTS!

select + right -> Audio and video sent to TV

Select + Left-> Audio and video sent to PC

Select + Down-> Audio sent to headset

Select + Up-> Custom semi-transparent X Link Kai interface pops up. When interface is up Select + Down hides the interface again

Select + Triggers or (- and 1 or 2 on wii remote) -> Volume control

Controllers in my collection thus far:
2 NES Classics

2 SNES Classics

4 N64

4 Gamecube Wavebirds (wireless gamecube controllers)

4 Wii remotes

2 Wii Classic controllers

2 Sega Genesis

2 PS2

2 Xbox one (would like 4 eventually)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

That is just way too insane with all those controllers, pretty cool though.

I'm good with my Hori FC for non analog stick systems and games and my 360 pad for analog stick games.

Thanks! I have a hard time playing some games without the OEM feel, specifically the N64 and Gamecube. Visitors seem to really like this especially those that aren't into emulation. Plus I thought they looked pretty cool on the shelf, and it kind of turned into a dual purpose collection from there.

Edited by Chadmando

Yeah I can understand that.

The Hori FC is just such a great controller and far better overall than any non analog stick controller to the point I would much rather use it than any standard d-pad controller ever made, including the might SNES or Saturn controller. Th 360 controller work really well for me, I like it better than a real N64 controller and its not problematic with Gamecube though the GC controller is pretty damn nice.

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Yeah I can understand that.

The Hori FC is just such a great controller and far better overall than any non analog stick controller to the point I would much rather use it than any standard d-pad controller ever made, including the might SNES or Saturn controller. Th 360 controller work really well for me, I like it better than a real N64 controller and its not problematic with Gamecube though the GC controller is pretty damn nice.

Is this the Hori FC you're talking about ? http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/29/shoryuken-review-hori-fighting-commander-pad-for-playstation-4xbox-one/

I've never owned an xbox or xbox controller before a few months ago, but I am starting to take a real liking to it. Gamecube is still my number one :P.

https://www.amazon.ca/Fighting-Commander-PlayStation-Controller-Officially/dp/B00TKLFES8

This is the one I have, it's the older version but I can't imagine there is too much different besides the shape and a couple of very minor d-pad customization adjustment settings.

Edit: The d-pad is absolutely perfect and has enough buttons and 6 face buttons so it handles everything I can throw at it, SNES, Genesis 6 button, PC Engine 6 button, PS1 and Saturn without issues or compromises in layout.

On 6/8/2018 at 3:25 PM, Lordmonkus said:

The Hori FC is just such a great controller and far better overall than any non analog stick controller to the point I would much rather use it than any standard d-pad controller ever made, including the might SNES or Saturn controller.

Does Retroarch handle it just fine in regards to auto-config? As in, do the R1 and R2 buttons on the front face of the controller get automatically used for Z and C on a 6-button Genesis controller for fighting games or have you had to map the buttons manually yourself? Just wondering because if Retroarch handles it without having to config anything I will get some. I love Retroarch but the one thing I truly HATE about it is the convoluted menu/system/method for mapping buttons manually.

I can't remember but I seem to recall mapping them myself even though RA does a pretty good job of mapping most of the buttons correctly.

It really isn't that difficult to remap things though, things have gotten much better than it used to be back in the 1.3.x days. Things are much more logical now and labeled better.

7 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I can't remember but I seem to recall mapping them myself even though RA does a pretty good job of mapping most of the buttons correctly.

It really isn't that difficult to remap things though, things have gotten much better than it used to be back in the 1.3.x days. Things are much more logical now and labeled better.

At the very least I'd get them for MAME because of all the wonderful fighting games. It is so user-friendly and easy to map buttons on anything with MAME. It is so easy I could probably plug a packet of biscuits into my PC and configure it with MAME. I did just take another look at the input menu for RA and it does look better than what it was. I will pull the trigger (pun intended) and give the Hori FC a go as they look really amazing, thanks.

10 hours ago, Boomerps2 said:

Is there any controller lag with the wireless setup?

None that I have noticed. I played a lot of Smash bros 64 where timing is can be very critical, and it feels just like playing on the actual system to me.

Edited by Chadmando

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 12:36 PM, Lordmonkus said:

I ended up purchasing a Hori FC and it arrived today. I have ALWAYS been a  6 button fighter layout guy all my life except the last year I have been using a PS4 controller and am now used to that and it is surprising how hard it is to get used to the fighting layout again. I have always hated the SNES controller layout with the shoulder buttons that went on to influence most console controllers after it. My favorite controller of all time was the 6 button Mega Drive controller, until now. Seriously, the Hori FC is absolutely beautiful! It has that wonderful 6 button layout PLUS the 4 shoulder buttons which are great to program with MAME to use as coin, pause, fast-forward etc. I think I am developing this for it. So, of course it was a breeze to map with MAME. Though, with RA it automatically changed input 1 user to Fighting Commander which is great but only problem is none of the buttons work. I know you said you have manually mapped some buttons with RA but just curious if you have your Hori FC set to PS4, PS3 or PC with the switch on the front of it?

EDIT: Also, when I attempt to manually map the buttons it does not work. I press enter then the little box displays that says press the button and give you about four seconds or so to press it. Despite the user 1 input saying Fighting Commander it does not respond when mapping in RA. Did you have this problem at all?

Edited by Dane

13 minutes ago, Dane said:

have your Hori FC set to PS4, PS3 or PC with the switch on the front of it?

Mine is the older model with only 2 settings, PS4 or PS3, the PS3 setting is the PC compatible one and what I use with it.

As for your mapping issues I don't know what to tell you other than to make sure it's set to PC and if that doesn't work try PS3 and PS4 mode.

I had to set mine up manually in RA when I got mine but it appears now there is a Hori Fight Commander 4 autoconfig in the Retroarch\autoconfig\xinput folder. I had a look inside the cfg file and saw this at the top:

# This assumes that you have the PS4/PS3 System Toggle Switch set to 4.

So maybe you have to set it to PS4 for the newer models to work with it.

45 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

As for your mapping issues I don't know what to tell you other than to make sure it's set to PC and if that doesn't work try PS3 and PS4 mode.

You could just tell me that you love me, it's all I have ever wanted to hear. Other than that, thanks for the reply. I tried all settings but none work though I will continue tinkering and report my findings when I find... them.

Just now, Dane said:

You could just tell me that you love me, it's all I have ever wanted to hear.

lol

Just now, Dane said:

I will continue tinkering and report my findings when I find... them.

I hope you get it working cause I was planning on buying one of the new models to have as a backup or maybe even 2 of them for my HTPC.

3 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I hope you get it working cause I was planning on buying one of the new models to have as a backup or maybe even 2 of them for my HTPC.

1. User 1 Device Type: RetroPad w/ Analog
  2. User 1 Analog To Digital Type: Left Analog
  3. User 1 Device Index: Fighting Commander

I restarted my PC as I hadn't done so for about 2 weeks as I've been downloading the entire GameCube library. Anyway, in RA's input setting under User 1 Input the above settings got it working. The main one that did it was changing the User 1 Analog To Digital Type to Left Analog. I am having to manually map my buttons for each system I play but once it is done it is done and it is no drama compared to the awesomeness of using this controller .Also, coincidentally tonight RA's manual input settings/menu finally clicked in my brain and it is all clear to me like a monk reaching enlightenment. Henceforth I shall fear no RA settings at all. I shall also purchase another Hori Fighting Commander Pro to have as a player 2 controller as they are THE BOMB.

Edited by Dane