LaunchBox Community Forums

Playing in a reduced window (in full screen)

SpaceCoyote

This might qualify as "nice problem to have" but regardless... Is there a way to set up BB to play games in full screen mode but in a window that is reduced onscreen? I think NEStopia can do this natively, but I'm wondering if BB can do it for ones whole library. So you keep your 1920x1080 resolution as the overall screen size, but inside of that you've got your "game window".

The reason that I ask is because I have a projector in my basement that I'm running my games on. It's amazing at times, but it can also be wayyyy too intense in lots of games. I don't have a fancy projector with lens memories, but itd be perfect if I could reduce my screen size by 80%. "windowed" mode is obviously not as nice as full screen...

I know this is a niche interest, but I'm hoping there's a setting somewhere that I haven't seen yet!

This would be an emulator thing rather than a Launchbox / BigBox thing. All LB does is tell your roms to load with an emulator, it has nothing to do with individual emulator or games settings unless you maybe used some other 3rd party software to manipulate things and add that to the command line, AHK script or Additional Apps.

13 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

But if you can run launchbox in windowed mode, doesn't everything inside of launchbox run inside that window? That's what I had figured... Might be wrong of course!

Im not quite sure what you are asking here, Launchbox itself doesn't have to be fullscreen it can be any sized window you like. Once a game is loaded though you are no longer in Launchbox you are in the emulator so whatever settings you have set there will be used for the screen size be it fullscreen or windowed. It sounds to me like you just want a smaller emulator window so just set the emulator in question to windowed not fullscreen.

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Im not quite sure what you are asking here, Launchbox itself doesn't have to be fullscreen it can be any sized window you like. Once a game is loaded though you are no longer in Launchbox you are in the emulator so whatever settings you have set there will be used for the screen size be it fullscreen or windowed. It sounds to me like you just want a smaller emulator window so just set the emulator in question to windowed not fullscreen.

Yeah but.like I say in my original post, windowed with Windows is less than ideal... I guess I should look for a different software that'll reduce my whole screen (if such a thing exists!)

usually your video card driver can do that. It'll center the resolution instead of stretching full screen. like if you have 1920x1080 and set the emulator or Windows itself to 1600x900 or something smaller. Usually its a check box to fill or stretch or something just turn that off 

2 hours ago, cpujunkie said:

usually your video card driver can do that. It'll center the resolution instead of stretching full screen. like if you have 1920x1080 and set the emulator or Windows itself to 1600x900 or something smaller. Usually its a check box to fill or stretch or something just turn that off 

Haha, good timing, shortly after my last post I googled around and discovered that nvidias control panel has the setting. It's perfect! Exactly what I was after. I was playing tomb raider and redout full screen and it was making me nauseous... Much, Much better now!

if you use retroarch then you can enable integer scaling globally and that will usually bring the game out of "full" screen and introduce smaller black bars across the top and bottom but will still technically be running in full screen mode. That sounds like what you're looking to accomplish.

• 2 years later...

Well after quitting the game 5 years ago because of the new updates and the the direction the game went in , I decided to go back to what I love and give Classic ago , Well ive played non stop for the past 8 hours lol !  This game is still a blast and its been years.... Thank you Blizz for bringing back all memories , and the game looks amazing in 4k Ultra. Is this offer still available? Because I am confused..