LaunchBox Community Forums

General disposition of 3D Box art (how to treat/submit)

Bedwyr

Hi all.

I'm adding a few items as I come across them doing some editing. I wanted to check in on the community consensus about 3D box art. I'm unsure what category is usually appropriate. My assumption in submission is to regard all 3D art as fan/reconstructed and therefore there was not a need for a separate category. Is this correct?

Followup: I also submitted new 3D box art for Final Fantasy II and III and even though it is done in the north american box style, I set the category to 3D Box rather than fan art. I just assumed that the primary purpose (3D Box: North America) would take precedence over submitting as fan art.

I'm probably mangling my question; does it make sense?

not following your logic here no box art exist commercially it just is a package for the actual product and if you have a real box in your had its 3D and definitely exist. If you submit boxes that are 3D but don't have the official art on them someone may reject them because they aren't official I believe there should be a distinction in the DB and the extra category should be added to accommodate it. For now though 3D box will most likely work as most mods seem to err on the side of getting art over not getting it.

23 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

not following your logic here no box art exist commercially it just is a package for the actual product and if you have a real box in your had its 3D and definitely exist. If you submit boxes that are 3D but don't have the official art on them someone may reject them because they aren't official I believe there should be a distinction in the DB and the extra category should be added to accommodate it. For now though 3D box will most likely work as most mods seem to err on the side of getting art over not getting it.

I could be wrong but I think in this case the discussion was assuming the boxes were being made with the official art. When I said that about 3D box art not commercially existing, I was referring to virtual 3d boxes, so they are all technically fan art. The real problem is how would you determine an official box from a fan art one for a game that doesn't even have one, but it's still using the artwork on say steam as the 3d box front, technically it's official artwork, but the rest of the box would be fan art. That's where the real problem would lay when it comes to having separate categories for 3d virtual boxes. 

My submissions used the Famicom art but kitbashed into the common vertical NES size and orientation of other 3D box art. The interests of a collector would probably be in some greater level of accuracy where the normal dimensions of famicom boxes are use. However, many of us have an interest not in separating Famicom from NES, but finding a place for the English translations that best fit the NES category.

My suggestion would be this. FFII (Famicom/Japan) would optimally get 3D box art according to its Japanese distribution:

Famicom box

That would optimally be scraped as the primary 3D box art. But for the quirky interests of the translation keepers (in effect a rom-hack, but not really, kind of?), the option of 3D box art that has NES dimensions for pleasing aesthetics and congruence with the rest of our NES collection:

NES "Box Art" Final Fantasy III

As for categorizing it, maybe the fact that I called it "Final Fantasy III 3D Box Art" but "North America" is a sly compromise as the NA release doesn't exist.