LaunchBox Community Forums

PS4 Controller not working

in10se

Hey guys, the controller worked until yesterday with Inputmapper. Then I wanted to change the bindings for NES and used a new profile. Since then nothing anymore worked.

Retroarch can't be controlled with it anymore. Retroarch even isnt recognizing any controller. So I deinstalled inputmapper and made DS4windows and same issue. Windows can be controller perfectly with it, but not ingame. I tried the emulator "higan" and as you can see in the video, it is recognizing the controller. But when a game starts nothing is reacting or no input is recognized.

Can someone please help me?

I cant speak to higan as i have never used it, as for retroarch its possible the controller got disabled, or its assigned to a different one. Load retroarch and go to settings/input with the arrow keys and enter, scroll down to input user 1 and hit enter, what does it list as the controller there? does it say disabled? you can use left and right arrows to select a controller there.

1 minute ago, in10se said:

Hi Neil,

thanks for your quick reply. You are right. something changed. Yesterday I could choose "Dualshock 4". now it looks like this:

any idea how to change it?

Yeah that is correct, both input mapper and DS4windows make programs think its a xinput device, so it showing xinput in retroarch is correct. For it to show as a Dual Shock 4 in retroarch you will have to not use input mapper or DS4windows. Retroarch supports the DS4 natively but other emus may not.

Ok, sad. Then it is not the problem. But even if it is showing, retroarch and any games started by retroarch are not reacting to any inputs... I can use the controller in windows, i can configure the buttons in other emulators, but ingame or inapp it never works

In Higan when you launch a game a new menu appears next to "library" with the system name of the game you launched. You need to enter that menu and make sure gamepad is enabled.

In your video you launched a Famicom game so "Famicom" appears next to "Library" in the menu. Go into "Famicom" and choose "Controller 1" and make sure gamepad is enabled. 

I have not used Higan in a while, but I remember having this same issue when I tested it. 

They may be set to use the DS4 but now retroarch is only seeing a xinput controller. Go back into user 1 binds select the xinput controller then run through the bind all option to set all the buttons, then go to configuration in the 1st menu and save current configuration. Then test a game again.

Thanks for your effort neil.

I did both things. In retroarch it is not recognizing any buttons pressed. So I go to bind all and I hit buttons like crazy on the controller, but retroarch is not reacting to any of them.

I changed the controller in Famicon, you were right, it was not set. But same problem, it is not reacting ingame.

Something is blocking that the controller is used ingame. In windows it works fine with the touchpad as mouse and the buttons are reacting. But launching an app or a game it doesnt work at all...

Yeah im afraid its working just fine for me here with input mapper, it just shows as a xinput device in retroarch and just works with no configuration on my part. I also created a second profile in input mapper and used that and it stil just worked, is input mapper putting your controller into exclusive mode when you turn it on? Mine is you turn it on then a windows notification tells me to turn it on again to enable exclusive mode. The only things i can suggest at this point is a PC restart, or you could try copying your .cfg out of the retroarch folder and load it fresh and see if it works then, as it may be something wrong/broken in the config.

Sorry i cant help more, but it "just worked" for me out of the box.

Yeah, thoght so Thanks anyway neil. Restard I did already many times. The Exclusive mode is not working and so far I can't figure out why. But maybe thats the way to go. i need to close applications until the exclusive mode works.

Dont worry, I will keep trying and post updates here if something works out for me.

Thanks anyway!

• 1 year later...