LaunchBox Community Forums

Move entire game collection to different HDD path

The Papaw

Is there a simple way to change the path to 20,000+ games?

I am moving all my game files to a different HDD and path and sure hope I don't have to scan them all again. I have searched around on the forums this morning, but can't find a specific answer. I'm sure the answer is on here some where???

Can I move the files, then in LB select the platform > Edit and change it there to the new path, does that do it for all the roms in that collection?

All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Wanderer189

best way to do it is open up all of the XML files in the Launchbox\data\platforms folder with Notepad++ then go to search in the menu bar and select Find type in the beginning of the old path as it shows in the xml so if it is showing C:\Launchbox\Games\ and you are just changing it to D:\Launchbox\Games you would just put C:\ in the find box do a count to make sure it is finding them then open the replace tab and type D:\ in there and then click to change in all open files and it will change the path in all of your xml files as a precaution make sure you back up the platforms folder before changing anything in case of a mishap. Also if you have any platforms with data on different drives make sure they aren't included in your open xml files when making the changes. I also wanted to add that the location you where talking about changing will have no effect whatsoever on the games you have already imported. That field is always set to show the games folder even if you imported your games and they are located in a complete different directory.

4 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

@DOS76 Thanks, using the find & replace in NP++, this isn't going to be to bad, ty again

Just to add, i would make a copy first, just in case you do a typo or replace something by accident, then you can just move the copy back.

EDIT: lol, i should of read @DOS76 whole post first,as he already mentioned making a copy first.

Edited by neil9000

I already suggested copying the entire platforms folder for safety. Its not my 1st rodeo and I don't want some angry users accusing me of destroying their LB build

1 hour ago, DOS76 said:

as a precaution make sure you back up the platforms folder before changing anything in case of a mishap.

How have you guys got yours Set-up,  as i can move anything to different folders or to another hdd, and not change any path's

I don't use RocketLauncher, just LaunchBox and RetroArch, and its fully Portable

Edited by Jaz808
spell

sometimes it is full portable other times it isn't it depends mostly on whether or not it is using relative paths or hard coded paths to a specific letter. If you have LB and all your stuff on one drive it should be using relative paths and you really shouldn't need to do anything thing but if you have LB on one drive and roms on another then it will be using a specific drive letter and moving it will either require that you change the letter in the platform xmls or if it another computer to make sure that the drive you are moving it to is using the same letter. I have a lot of my stuff on a network drive using the computer name so for me I don't have to change anything as all computers on the network will have access to that address.