LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Namco System 22 Running Slow

Warped Polygon

So I'm almost done with my all killer MAME build. While play testing stuff I noticed all Namco System 22 (Alpine Racer, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis etc) Games were not running smooth at all. I'm running it on a 8 Core PC so it's not performance. I have read up and there are others with the same thing but could't find a definite answer. 

Is there a better way of running these games with a different version of mame? If yours are working which mame version do you have?

Cheers

7 minutes ago, normchomsky said:

So I'm almost done with my all killer MAME build. While play testing stuff I noticed all Namco System 22 (Alpine Racer, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis etc) Games were not running smooth at all. I'm running it on a 8 Core PC so it's not performance. I have read up and there are others with the same thing but could't find a definite answer. 

Is there a better way of running these games with a different version of mame? If yours are working which mame version do you have?

Cheers

This is just how those games run, they are not emulated perfectly as you are probably aware of by the screen that pops up when you load one saying there are problems with the emulation.

I just copy and pasted this below from the mameworld forums,

"The people taking the piss out of you aren't MAME devs themselves, so please take what they say with a grain of salt. The reality is that Namco System 22 is actually a pretty beefy driver. I'm glancing at the source code here, and in addition to a 25MHz 68EC020, it's got two TMS32025 DSPs running at 49MHz apiece, and then finally a microcontroller at about 16MHz for I/O.

Speaking for myself, I've got a pretty capable machine myself - an i7-5930K at 3.5GHz - and I have trouble running PC drivers in MAME, and in terms of emulated processors we're just talking about a 33MHz 486. So I could totally believe that at times when all of the emulated CPUs are running flat-out, even a pretty modern system like yours or mine might not be able to handle it."