LaunchBox Community Forums

Disable Image Cache

starplayer

On 2/4/2023 at 10:45 AM, Mock said:

This is really not thought through using these cache folder without having any settings to configure it. My LB setup is not from a network drive from my NAS as i have multiply devices using the setup with relative paths. i use Symlinks for the video and game folders, but put everything else on SSD. for the image folder its almost 1 TB so it don't fits great on SSDs only because of the cache folders. could i just keep the image folder on the NAS and change cache folder to SSD this would benefit a lot i think.

the only solution to fix this might be to create a powershell script that creates symlinks of every folder inside the image folder, so that only the cache files a generated on SSD.

Launchbox should look more into the possibilities that some would like a portable setup

Agree, I just looked and have 400,000 files in my cache (40gb) !! 🤯

Maybe Launchbox should invest in someone to take a look at the coding to see if there is a way around using the cache ?

After all Hyperspin uses exactly the same image files and doesn't need one (for example)

Edited by zugswang

Dead doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore, dead means nobody is working on the core code.       It doesn't work on currently supported, modern operating systems, correct?    Last I looked, it was stuck at an older Windows 10 version, and if you upgraded past that version, HyperSpin doesn't work.     

I understand the community is still active (I used it for years myself), but I get the impression that active development on the core platform stopped years ago.    Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

Edited by Fursphere

17 hours ago, Fursphere said:

Dead doesn't mean it doesn't work anymore, dead means nobody is working on the core code.       It doesn't work on currently supported, modern operating systems, correct?    Last I looked, it was stuck at an older Windows 10 version, and if you upgraded past that version, HyperSpin doesn't work.     

I understand the community is still active (I used it for years myself), but I get the impression that active development on the core platform stopped years ago.    Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

It says it all really that no work has been done to it for years and it's still superior to Launchbox where performance/loading times etc are concerned (imo, as I use both on a daily basis) where large setups are concerned.

When you have a couple of systems on LB it loads instantly like Hyperspin, but the more you add the slower it all gets.

Hyperspin has near Instant loading, no need for a cache and can run all the systems I run in Launchbox (with the help of RocketLauncher of course) no matter how much is piled into it.

Launchbox/BigBox has many plus points over Hyperspin, but speed is not one of them, particularly if you have a large setup.

I was just suggesting that someone could look into this as the cache folders may be the reason for the slowdown as a setup gets bigger (for me anyway)

On 2/6/2023 at 3:18 PM, C-Beats said:

LaunchBox is designed from the ground up to be a portable app. Your install case however isn't a portable one, as you've stated you're using external locations for games/resources. You can change the individual image folders for every platform to be wherever you want as well already so there is no need to over complicate things and use symlinks to do it.

But in this case its for the cached folders, as I would like the cache to stay on the fasted storage. And as many suggest is to do symlinks, this is only possible for NTFS as network storage might not be formatted like that.

i did the script for creating multiply symlinks for all the folders inside the image path https://github.com/mooock/Launchbox/blob/main/Powershell/Tools/Set-LaunchboxImageCache

I don't ever really use PowerShell but this appears to just be creating symlinks for folders you can already point inside of the app. I will give you that the script may be faster then manually changing all the image paths for every platform, but it IS possible to do so in app already.