LaunchBox Community Forums

Genre video and clear logos

proghodet

Is there a way to add a genre video, and a clear logo? As of now, my genre view seems very dull, but I would love to have a logo and a video for each genre, much like the playlist view, or the platform view. Tried adding a folder called genres, and adding a clear logo image for a genre, but no luck :)

I can't even change the view in my View Genres to display clear logos, banners or whatever, so I don't think so. I don't want to use playlists to display genres. In my mind they are separate, even though many uses playlists for that. 

Screenshot_3-min.png

Screenshot_4-min.png

Edited by proghodet

So specifically the "View Genres" menu...I see...that wasn't made clear at the start. I do not believe there is a way to display them,unless it is built into the themes specific view xaml...which I also don't believe most theme makers bother with because it's not really a priority. Even if they did,there doesn't exist the proper media for that many genres,and it would still look barren. I just scrolled down my genre list,and there are at least 150 genres listed...and most media creators only cover the main 25-30 genres.

26 minutes ago, proghodet said:

I keep a tight grip on my genres, so it doesn't get out of hand, but I see what you're saying :) I could easily create my own logo images, but I have to consider if I'm going to bother editing the XML-files. Thank you anyway :)

You can just create a auto populated playlist for the genres, then they will show in with playlists and you can add art/videos.

Just now, proghodet said:

Good tip, and probably the best option. But then, what's the point of having a Genre View at all? :)

Well the genre view is legacy at this point, it was there for a long time, but there are now better/easier ways to do that with auto populating playlists. You could do it for your entire library, or genres per platform, or genres before a certain year etc. Its much more flexible these days.

8 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Well the genre view is legacy at this point, it was there for a long time, but there are now better/easier ways to do that with auto populating playlists. You could do it for your entire library, or genres per platform, or genres before a certain year etc. Its much more flexible these days.

I suppose. But I would still argue that a Genre view is different from the playlists. A genre is just that; a list of all games within a genre, while a playlist is "my top 10 racing games", "greatest games of the 80's" or whatever - your selected games within given constraints. And my sense of organization doesn't handle the mixing of the two :P But this is just food for thought at this point, I'll probably just go with your solution :)

Edited by proghodet

1 minute ago, proghodet said:

I suppose. But I would still argue that a Genre view is different from the playlists. A genre is just that; a list of all games within a genre, while a playlist is "my top 10 racing games", "greatest games of the 80's" or whatever - your selected games within given constraints. And my sense of organization doesn't handle the mixing of the two :P But this is just food for thought at this point, I'll probably just go with your solution :)

lol, fair enough each to there own there. Launchbox is flexible enough though that different people can set it up the way they personally want it. :) 

14 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

lol, fair enough each to there own there. Launchbox is flexible enough though that different people can set it up the way they personally want it. :) 

Sure! I'll find a way to make playlists work for me. I'll probably make all my "series" into playlists as well, as I suppose that the Series View are a bit in the same boat as the Genres View :)

Edited by proghodet