LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox Start up issue

dsnyd22

I have a really strange issue I cant determine what is causing it and it just started recently.  I can only run Bigbox if I launch it from within Launchbox.  Whenever i try to run solely BigBox (The logo comes up and mouse icon just spins infinitely)  Sort of annoying me since i eventually want to have it boot straight to Big Box

If I had some knowledge about what and how to backup and restore your settings and data, I would tell you to do that and do a fresh install of Launchbox.

Unfortunely I don't know much about the backup part and had an issue related to that today, and had to go through a trial and error process to resolve the issue because no one replied to my thread asking for help, and it seems the same in your case.

If you know how to backup and restore your data, do a fresh install and see if it works. If not, you'll have to open another thread or give more information I think.

Edited by coleroddy
words

Might be a specific process that runs differently when launched within LB or as a standalone app.

What you can do is install LB in a different location, and without even configuring anything on it, just launch BB standalone from the new setup, and see what happens.

• If the error is still there, then most likely has to do with something on your machine.
  • If it launches fine, then either something in the original setup is corrupted, or one or more files are causing the issue.

In the last scenario you can simply just start copy/pasting one folder at a time from the main root of the original installation, and on each folder copy, launch standalone BB from the new install, and see if it goes through. Doing this might led you to the problematic folder/file, or just have a new LB installed with your stuff in it. As a heads-up, never cut and paste, always copy/paste until you are sure everything works fine and all your stuff was moved, and then you can delete the old folder.

Hope this helps.

23 hours ago, dsnyd22 said:

Thanks for help.  was able to get it back up and working

Would you mind sharing exactly how you solved the issue? I can't start either Launchbox or Bigbox since a couple of days ago. Have put so much time into setting it up I'm a bit nervous about doing anything which might mean I lose all of that work.

Go to the updates folder in LB go to the latest update and run it again it will install directly over you other installation and will only replace the exe files and won't touch any of your folders with your work if you want to be really safe just create a copy of your Data folder as that is where all the files containing your stuff is located (plus you should have a copy of this folder located on a separate drive then the one with LB on it anyway in case your drive fails then you can easily restore your build if needed)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Go to the updates folder in LB go to the latest update and run it again it will install directly over you other installation and will only replace the exe files and won't touch any of your folders with your work if you want to be really safe just create a copy of your Data folder as that is where all the files containing your stuff is located (plus you should have a copy of this folder located on a separate drive then the one with LB on it anyway in case your drive fails then you can easily restore your build if needed)

Thank you. This worked a treat!