LaunchBox Community Forums

Sync'd copy of LaunchBox not launching on other PC

vertigoelectric

I've spent a good deal of time adding and organizing games to LaunchBox on my PC.  I've decided to use DropBox to sync my LaunchBox folder with another computer in the house.  Unfortunately, the sync'd copy of LB won't run.  I installed a fresh copy of LB onto the same computer in another folder for testing and that copy loads up just fine.  In fact, if I copy the data from the dropbox location to the testing location, it still runs and shows my games.  It just won't launch from within the DropBox folder (I get the 'waiting' circle for a few seconds then nothing happens).

Any ideas?

39 minutes ago, vertigoelectric said:

I've spent a good deal of time adding and organizing games to LaunchBox on my PC.  I've decided to use DropBox to sync my LaunchBox folder with another computer in the house.  Unfortunately, the sync'd copy of LB won't run.  I installed a fresh copy of LB onto the same computer in another folder for testing and that copy loads up just fine.  In fact, if I copy the data from the dropbox location to the testing location, it still runs and shows my games.  It just won't launch from within the DropBox folder (I get the 'waiting' circle for a few seconds then nothing happens).

Any ideas?

I will tag @Jason Carr here as i believe he syncs his setup via dropbox on his cab so maybe he can offer some advice. I dont use dropbox personally, but could it be that Windows is protecting your PC by not allowing you to load .exe's from within what is technically a shared folder?

12 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I will tag @Jason Carr here as i believe he syncs his setup via dropbox on his cab so maybe he can offer some advice. I dont use dropbox personally, but could it be that Windows is protecting your PC by not allowing you to load .exe's from within what is technically a shared folder?

Thanks a ton!   I've decided to reconfigure how my paths and installs are set up, but I'm still going to need to have it sync'd over dropbox so the help will still be very welcome.

Just now, vertigoelectric said:

Thanks a ton!   I've decided to reconfigure how my paths and installs are set up, but I'm still going to need to have it sync'd over dropbox so the help will still be very welcome.

Also i should ask do you have all the directx and .net framework drivers installed on the PC you are syncing too? It could be that some required files are missing on that PC.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Also i should ask do you have all the directx and .net framework drivers installed on the PC you are syncing too? It could be that some required files are missing on that PC.

Well, as I mentioned originally, I tested that by installing LB on the target computer in another folder and it works fine.

Just now, vertigoelectric said:

Well, as I mentioned originally, I tested that by installing LB on the target computer in another folder and it works fine.

Yes, but windows itself may be missing those files. Launchbox will install files it needs, but it also still needs the OS to have certain files as well. Specifically the directx and .net framework i mentioned, it could be they are not on that system, or you have older versions that need updating.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Yes, but windows itself may be missing those files. Launchbox will install files it needs, but it also still needs the OS to have certain files as well. Specifically the directx and .net framework i mentioned, it could be they are not on that system, or you have older versions that need updating.

Hmmm, well I attempted to install .NET 4.0 and was told it's already installed.  As for DirectX, what version is necessary?  The target computer is already used for all sorts of gaming so I can't imagine I'm missing any DirectX prerequisites.

Update:

I changed the workflow and now it is running properly.

On my PC, I never actually put Launchbox in the dropbox folder, but rather created a junction of it so it would still sync.  I decided to do the same thing on the target computer (I actually ended up needing to do this so I can keep other relative paths in place).  Either it was just a coincidence or this 'fixed' the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@vertigoelectric Just run the LaunchBox installer once on the PC that isn't working. You can install to a completely different folder; all you need is for the required DirectX libraries to be installed, and the LB installer will do this easily for you.

I don't mean to sound rude or ungrateful, but I've mentioned twice in this thread that I've already done that and it didn't solve the problem.  That being said, though, I do appreciate all the help and attention on this forum.  I'm so far really enjoying LaunchBox and definitely plan to purchase a premium license once my budget allows for it.

As for now, as mentioned in my last post, I made a few changes to my sync setup and am no longer experiencing the original problem, so everything seems to be okay for the moment.  I haven't had an opportunity to do much testing but LB does launch and I successfully launched a few games.

Again, thanks! ?

Just to update again, it turns out that the junctions I put in dropbox were not allowing the folders to sync so the whole plan is just a flop.  I've decided I don't really need to sync the two copies of LaunchBox from this point on anyway.  I've already copied everything I've set up and further addition of games can be added manually to both computers.  It's not that much work.

Although, now I've run into another issue, but I'll make a new thread if I can't fix it myself.

• 5 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Aevans0001 said:

Vertigo, you could setup a shared drive and then use symbolic links.  I use a nas system and use symbolic links on all of the important configuration files. 

Hmmm, yes I suppose that would have been an option.  It's not an issue any more, though.  I don't really need the two installations sync'd after all.  In fact, it's better if they are separate.

Thanks, though.  Appreciate it.