LaunchBox Community Forums

Deleted platform that keeps coming back.

Voytopuesto

Hi,

I am experiencing this really strange behavior of Launchbox. Every time I delete or make any changes in the Sony Playstation 2 platform the changes are not saved, when I start LB again the platform still there.
My goal is actually to change the extension of the rom files, which were ISOs and now they are compressed files .GZ. I tried to change the extension manually in the platform XML file but, the same happens here, the old XML comes back and all the extensions are ISOs again. Deleting and importing the rom files again doen not help.
I tried everything I can think of, even if I only remove a game, this game will be back next time I start LB. I also deleted all the XML files that include the name Sony Playstation 2 in my system.
I almost feel like this is some kind of spooky interaction... hehehe.
I also tried deleting the ListCache.xml, it didn´t help.

Has someone experienced this kind of problem?

25 minutes ago, Voytopuesto said:

Hi,

I am experiencing this really strange behavior of Launchbox. Every time I delete or make any changes in the Sony Playstation 2 platform the changes are not saved, when I start LB again the platform still there.
My goal is actually to change the extension of the rom files, which were ISOs and now they are compressed files .GZ. I tried to change the extension manually in the platform XML file but, the same happens here, the old XML comes back and all the extensions are ISOs again. Deleting and importing the rom files again doen not help.
I tried everything I can think of, even if I only remove a game, this game will be back next time I start LB. I also deleted all the XML files that include the name Sony Playstation 2 in my system.
I almost feel like this is some kind of spooky interaction... hehehe.
I also tried deleting the ListCache.xml, it didn´t help.

Has someone experienced this kind of problem?

Hi and welcome. :) 

My suggestion would be to close launchbox and head to the Launchbox/Data/Platforms folder and delete the "Sony Playstation 2.xml" file and re-open Launchbox,it should be gone. 

If not feel free to post back here.

I had a similar issue with Future Pinball right after I updated to version 9.1 and was driving me crazy because I would lose all changes made and it would revert to an XML file (even if deleted backups).  I noticed it after making a lot of changes to Future Pinball database (adding text, images, etc) and the next day it had reverted to an earlier version. I even tried deleting all items within that platform completely (have offline backup).  Still didn't work in that the XML file would pop back.  I eventually realized it was taking a version about 3 days back.  It was really odd because I could see the xml file regenerated while I had Explorer open each time I reopened LB. The XML file always had the date stamp and size (and if looked at directly could see changes made not included) of the older version no matter how worked the changes.  I had deleted the XML, CACHE files, and all XML Data backups but still didn't work.  Eventually, I tried clearing out my TMP and TEMP files from Windows since it was obviously copying it from someplace since deleted all the other locations it might pull. That seemed to work since could see changes were now being saved in the XML file and a couple restarts didn't trigger the older replacement behavior. Although doesn't make sense in that I didn't see anything obvious files in the TEMP folder.  It is definitely some weird cache/temp file deal since the other platforms worked fine but just that one platform which I happened to be doing a lot of work on around the 9.1 upgrade timeline.  Suspect was corrupted somehow and LB got stuck but not sure what caused it. So might give the TEMP file purge a try and see if that solves.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Hi and welcome. :) 

My suggestion would be to close launchbox and head to the Launchbox/Data/Platforms folder and delete the "Sony Playstation 2.xml" file and re-open Launchbox,it should be gone. 

If not feel free to post back here.

Thanks! It is nice to be part of the Launchbox community ? 

Yes, I have tried what you said already, but it didn´t help. I think I have figured it out now.
There was several XML files with weird names, something like SONYP2~1.xml in the data/platforms folder which somehow after its deletion did the trick. Now the Sony Platform 2 is gone and I was able to re-import my games properly with their correct extensions .gz.
I realize that this was happening on other platforms as well, the file NINTEN~4.xml was hindering launchbox to save changes on the Nintendo Gamecube platform for example.

Thanks to @sundogak as well for your comment, that is exactly what happened. I will try to purge the temp folder as well the next time it happens and see if that helps as well.

I do not know why but I think this could be related to not having a fresh install of Launchbox, I have been updating since version 7 if I remember right.