LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox and Windows store (w10) games issue.

Killbill

Hey folks. 

Got a bit of an issue here and there’s more to it then the title. 

Iv got big box working beautifully. I have windows 10 booting straight into bigbox via the shell/regedit method. So no windows desktop load and it’s lighting  fast booting into bigbox. 

Steam games work fine. Origin, Uplay have no issues. 

How ever when I tried to run Forza4 I got a 

“An error occurred while trying to launch the game: Class not registered.” 

I tried some other games and realised all games I’ve bought via Microsoft store, forza 7, gears of war, halo etc etc are not working. If I try to run the MS store I get the same error.

i undid the registery change I had made and restored shell:explorer.exe and all is working  fine again.

does any one have any tips or thoughts on how I can get a work around working. I really do not like having windows boot into well windows and then having bigbox start. The method above works 10/10 times with my setup. Booting into windows desktop first and then having bigbox auto start is a 50/50...

Thanks  

11 hours ago, Suhrvivor said:

Try pointing to the executable of the game instead of a shortcut or weird UWP link. You can find the game's URL by launching the game, opening the Task Manager,  rightclicking the game and selecting  "Go to details", then right click the game's exe and select "Open file location".

I was in bed when I saw your message so decided to jump out and give it a try. 

Went task manager route.. and got the error access denied. Seems a permissions issue. 

Went manually into the folder. 

Tried to launch the exe and got permissions error. 

Went into file properties> security > advance 

double clicked on my user account 

“this access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one” 

did some googling. Seems to be a common issue. Have tried to create a new one with full premissions. But still getting the error. Can launch game fine from start or launch box. Just cant launch it from the windows app folder... 

sadly cant test out your recommendation:(

Edited by Killbill

Microsoft locked off access to the windowsapp folder that houses the .exe's, they don't put a shortcut in the menu either (this is how launchbox scans for other windows games). I don't know if they ever found a work around. you'll have to wait for Brad or Jason to confirm.

Paste this into a explorer window,

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

You should then see a window like this,

922376684_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.d8f279b2c341f493653d2a6df24bc289.pngYou can then simply right click games and choose create shortcut, you will be prompted to save it on the desktop so just create a windows store folder and put them all in there. Then you can simply drag the folder onto Launchbox and choose the none of the above option.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I Apologize in advance for bumping this... However, has anyone found a workaround for this yet? I too have kicked explorer.exe to the curb in favor of booting directly into BB and would love for at least my Killer Instinct (2013) to load on my beautiful setup.

.... Also, just realized, my first post here....

Edited by cheeseburgersgod

• 8 months later...

Annoyingly, you cannot start Windows Universal Apps without explorer.exe running.

I did find a work around, using a .bat script I start explorer.exe, start my game, kill explorer.exe

All you have to do now is run the .bat script with the game .lnk file as an argument. Also need to increase the start up time in launchbox/bigbox. I could have handled the timeouts better by looping and waiting for the process to have started. 

echo off
set app_lnk=%1

start explorer.exe
timeout 5
%app_lnk%
timeout 5
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe

On 3/30/2020 at 5:24 AM, Cal said:

Annoyingly, you cannot start Windows Universal Apps without explorer.exe running.

I did find a work around, using a .bat script I start explorer.exe, start my game, kill explorer.exe

All you have to do now is run the .bat script with the game .lnk file as an argument. Also need to increase the start up time in launchbox/bigbox. I could have handled the timeouts better by looping and waiting for the process to have started. 

echo off
set app_lnk=%1

start explorer.exe
timeout 5
%app_lnk%
timeout 5

Hey Cal 

Thanks for this. I ended up giving up on BB because i just had too many games in Windows Store that i could not do without. But even without BB/LaunchBox the amount of issues I would generally have trying to use my windows gaming PC as a "couch" or an console type of experience setup became really annoying.. Controllers will randomly stop working, some games in steam will fail to start (or claim they are already running), some games will start but the damn resolutions may be messed up, audio may work on some boot ups (atmos) on others it will default to stereo)  and on and on with random ass issues - thank you Microsoft. I got to the point where i could not count on my PC just working, so got my son a Switch which he loves and i use the PC when i am ready to spend some time messing with it to get it working. 

Two quick examples from last week. Bought wolfenstein youngblood on steam as been looking forward to it, fired it up and the damn resolution was locked to 480 something and had to go in an mess with some ini files to get it working. put two hours aside to do some gaming spent that time troubleshooting and fixing the issues.  Fired up rocket league which has been working fine and that res was locked to 720 had to go in and make some changes.   Ok rant over. I guess I am just tired for always having to mess with something just to get it working. 

As we are in a lockdown, i might just nuke the PC again and rebuild trying the above method.  Do i need a .bat script for each Windows store game?
Is this method still working well for you?  can you give an example of how you have set it up (if you have the time). Thanks hopefully your suggestion helps other people on here. 

p.s folks dont get me wrong not pointing the finger at LB - They have been great in supporting the community  and love what they have done with the product. I just miss having a windows gaming PC that just worked from my couch.

• 3 years later...
On 3/30/2020 at 12:24 AM, Cal said:

echo off
set app_lnk=%1

start explorer.exe
timeout 5
%app_lnk%
timeout 5

I've just stumbled upon this while trying to overcome the exact same issue. I'm using BB as shell and have some games in the microsoft store that need explorer.exe running for them to launch it seems. I've tried numerous variations of this script but the problem for me is I can get the game to start properly, but something isn't working when explorer.exe closes. The game continues to play fine, but when I exit the game I've got a white screen and nothing else. I can't even get the task manager to pop up. If I Alt-Tab I can alternate between the game tab and the task manager but nothing actually happens and the blank white screen persists. If you've got any other workarounds on how to accomplish this let me know, thanks!