LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Crashes when loading games thru LB

Bobsaidwzob

For some reason, no matter which platform I'm trying to play, retroarch crashed if I load the game thru LB. It looks like it's starting with the FPS in the tope left corner, but it's just black and eventually it crashes and it asked me either to close the program or wait for it to respond. It never responds. If I open retroarch thru the exe and load a rom, it works perfectly fine. I cannot figure out why it doesn't work thru LB. I was hoping someone might have  solution for this. I am running 1.7.5 on retroarch and the most current version of LB which I believe is 9.3. 

I'll also add that I have the correct emulators pointing to the platforms. Not sure if that info is pertinent or not. 

Thanks in advance.

Go in Launchbox to Tools>Manage Emulators and choose Retroarch then edit. In the associated platforms tab there make sure you have all the platforms listed that will use Retroarch (The name listed in the Associated Plaforms tab must match the name as you have them called in Launchbox). Also make sure for each platform you have the correct core listed that you want to use. 

4 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Go in Launchbox to Tools>Manage Emulators and choose Retroarch then edit. In the associated platforms tab there make sure you have all the platforms listed that will use Retroarch (The name listed in the Associated Plaforms tab must match the name as you have them called in Launchbox). Also make sure for each platform you have the correct core listed that you want to use. 

All the emulators are correct and associated with the correct platform. I went thru those first and still have issues with freezing.

If it runs directly in Retroarch and not through Launchbox you likely have a disconnet in your setup within LB. Can you post pics of your setup. A lot of times it helps us to see your settings  

In the edit emulators screen share pic of the Emulator Details tab and the Associated platforms tab. Then go to a game that will not play and edit it. Share pic of the Launcher tab and the Emulation tab. 

Just now, Retro808 said:

If it runs directly in Retroarch and not through Launchbox you likely have a disconnet in your setup within LB. Can you post pics of your setup. A lot of times it helps us to see your settings  

In the edit emualtors screen share pic of the Emulator Details tab and the Associated platforms tab. Then go to a game that will not play and edit it. Share pic of the Launcher tab and the Emulation tab. 

Attached are the screenshots you requested. Let me know if anything else is needed to diagnose this issue.

Thanks.

Untitled1.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled3.png

log_verbosity = "false"

Search for above in retoarch.cfg file. If turn from false to "true" should pop up a DOS command window on launch that logs what is going on with RA when running. Might see if anything pops up there. 

Need to turn off startup screens in LB tab and set retroarch not to go full screen. Although if hard crash might crater DOS window as well (alt-tab might still work as long as leave crash dialog open). 

Edited by sundogak
edit for sp

I've been playing around to see if I could get it to work. I've downloaded retroarch again and ran it from a different folder and launched it via LB. That seemed to work but it created other issues as I cannot get any audio from any game. I've looked in the settings and it seems to be normal and my tv speakers work fine as I can hear everything else other than retroarch games. On top of that, my ps1 core loads in japanese straight to the memory card boot screen and does not load the disc. I've tried 3 cored and the same issue. I have all the bios in the system folder and it points to that folder. I couldn't find anything online about this either.

24 minutes ago, sundogak said:

log_verbosity = "false"

Search for above in retoarch.cfg file. If turn from false to "true" should pop up a DOS command window on launch that logs what is going on with RA when running. Might see if anything pops up there. 

Need to turn off startup screens in LB tab and set retroarch not to go full screen. Although if hard crash might crater DOS window as well (alt-tab might still work as long as leave crash dialog open). 

These are the two logs I got. One is the old RA where it froze via LB. The second on is the RA in a different folder that works but does not have audio and the load screens are in japanese.

Broken RA.rtf

Working RA - No Audio.rtf

@BobsaidwzobFor both looks like there is issues with shaders.  So might check if shaders being used and turn off.  On the Broken RA one looks like save states are turned on, so might turn those off while figuring out what issue is.  In CFG file it is here:

savestate_auto_load = "false"

For the second one with no audio you have it outputting to this per your log at the end:

[INFO] [MIDI]: Output device "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth".

So you need to go into RA, then to the audio section and look for MIDI. Then Change the Output setting back to "off" and not directing it to the MS MIDI driver.  That is why no sound. 

Edited by sundogak

1 hour ago, sundogak said:

@BobsaidwzobFor both looks like there is issues with shaders.  So might check if shaders being used and turn off.  On the Broken RA one looks like save states are turned on, so might turn those off while figuring out what issue is.  In CFG file it is here:

savestate_auto_load = "false"

For the second one with no audio you have it outputting to this per your log at the end:

[INFO] [MIDI]: Output device "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth".

So you need to go into RA, then to the audio section and look for MIDI. Then Change the Output setting back to "off" and not directing it to the MS MIDI driver.  That is why no sound. 

Thanks. I'll check the shaders but as far as the audio goes, it just happened to be on but even if it was off there's still no audio. I was just testing it out and I left it on when I ran the CMD.