LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 9.3 won't start

Tex8503

Hey folks,

I've got a server I built and things were working ok. Launchbox was starting from the main c: - but I decided to move it to another drive. I moved the directory and it seemed to stop working. So I uninstalled it and re-installed it - that didn't help. I even tried deleting the folder- no dice.

Note that I am RDPing into the box for setup (the server doesn't have a display connected to it) and I've also tried using teamviewer to connect to it - I can't seem to get either launchbox or bigbox to open now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just a bit more information: I've gone ahead and tried uninstalling, re-installing launchbox multiple times. Tried deleting the directory. Tried installing it on another virtual drive (Windows 10 is running in a VM). Tried uninstalling .NET Framework 4.7 and re-installing it. I can see crashdumps in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

It did work at one point earlier but then stopped working and I'm not quite sure why it's dying. 

I've attached a screenshot of the launchbox folder.

I'm out of ideas... there's no error or anything; launchbox and bigbox just don't open. Also - they're not in the task manager.

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 6.04.01 PM.png

18 minutes ago, Tex8503 said:

Just a bit more information: I've gone ahead and tried uninstalling, re-installing launchbox multiple times. Tried deleting the directory. Tried installing it on another virtual drive (Windows 10 is running in a VM). Tried uninstalling .NET Framework 4.7 and re-installing it. I can see crashdumps in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

It did work at one point earlier but then stopped working and I'm not quite sure why it's dying. 

I've attached a screenshot of the launchbox folder.

I'm out of ideas... there's no error or anything; launchbox and bigbox just don't open. Also - they're not in the task manager.

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 6.04.01 PM.png

You are missing a load of files and folders there.

So I re-downloaded the install file... uninstalled it, did a fresh re-install and it looks the same... The install file is about 204mb and the installed directory is about 218mb... Still doesn't work...

Edited by Tex8503
Added note about it not working.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe it's an issue with RDP. The files you're missing aren't there simply because they're extracted on startup, which leads me to believe that the EXEs aren't really even getting started. So it may not be even getting over the initial loading of .NET.

Other than .NET, the only other requirement is DirectX. You could try manually running a DirectX 9.0c setup updater to see if that helps. That might be tough over RDP though, which might be the problem to begin with.

Hm... I tried it over TeamViewer too and no dice. And it did work before ... and then... I'm not sure what happened, but I think I was using TeamViewer when it worked before... I'll try a directX 9.0c install again. 

Do the crashdumps help at all? I'm happy to upload them? Are there also any dependencies on optional pieces of windows? Internet Explorer? Windows Media Viewer?

The issue could be the same over RDP and TeamViewer; I'm not really sure. Crashdumps are a long shot; it could prove to be helpful, but it's not likely. There shouldn't be any dependencies on optional pieces of Windows. Windows Media Player is used optionally but it should start up fine without it. IE is not used. The error message in Event Viewer is probably the closest thing we'll get to useful info. It might not end up being useful either, but it's worth looking into.