LaunchBox Community Forums

Daphne in Launchbox

onebadws6

I have setup Daphne loader by adding it the the emulator file inside launchbox folder and successfully have DL1 and space ace working properly. Has anyone ran into a problem with Dragons Lair 2?  I have added the exact files and vldps but DL2 seems to have a different file format inside the vldp using "framefile".  When I try to load I get the error message (see attached)  These were all obtained from the DVDs and loaded properly in Daphne and working before transferring to Launchbox.  Running DaphneLoader v1.0-2.2.11.  I appreciate any help. 

Dragons Lair:   Emulators\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair\lair.txt

Dragons Lair 2: Emulators\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair2\dl2-framefile.txt

Space Ace:  Emulators\Daphne\vldp_dl\ace\ace.txt

DragonsLair2fail.png

DL2 works so likely an issue with the framefile. Daphne is a pain with names and the first line inside the framefile text file must match the path to where VLDP files are located (it can be relative so may see things like a period or double period). Look at the Daphne_Log.txt file in the Daphne directory. It will usually give you a good idea of the issue since most times it will show something indicating that it cannot find a ROM and/or VLDP directory.  I have attached a file I generated when ran and if look at Line 27 will see where finds ROM, then parses VLDP files via the framefile which it gives path, and off it goes.  Most times if problem with framefile then you will see it gag there with an error that cannot find the VLDP files or will see a wonky path noted in the ROMs. 

Also, the "command line" line near top of the Daphne_Log.txt file shows you what is being used to try and launch the game. You said you have couple that work so would run those, exit, then make copy of the log and rerun again with Lair 2. You can then see what is different.  You can do tests outside LB but trying that command line in a CMD window.  Again, more than likely the first line of the framefile is potentially wrong so would look at the Lair 2 framefile first line and compare to what you have with the framefile that is working. 

The name of the framefile also looks suspicious (mine is lair2.txt for example).  Although doesn't have to be same name, it does have to match throughout the references in your command line, etc.

Also see this thread where had similar questions.

daphne_log.txt

Edited by sundogak
added reference to other thread

I actually ended up making a second emulator called Daphne 2 and attached it to the Daphne platform, made a different .bat file, and set the path with this one just to dragons lair2 framefile and added it to daphne folder.  The original .bat file I had only specifies .txt where DL2 uses the prefix framefile.txt.  It actually works just the same only using a separate emulator (still using the same Daphneloader) with a different path. All games still play with 2 bat files inside Daphne.

original batch file:  Daphne.exe %1 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile "C:\Users\B\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne\vldp_dl\%1\%1.txt"

Modified batch file: daphne.exe lair2 vldp -fullscreen -x 640 -y 480 -framefile C:\Users\B\LaunchBox\Emulators\Daphne\vldp_dl\lair2\dl2-framefile.txt

Edited by onebadws6

Try making sure all references use lair2 .  Make a dupe of framefile and call it lair2.txt and make sure  all references in batch including name of batch file is lair2.  The Launchbox Daphne log shows it’s trying to find the video files not in Lair2 directory but dl2-framefile directory which doesn’t exist.

The original batch file won’t work because the %1 means it is looking for lair2 throughout.  

Edited by sundogak

The original batch file works for everygame ....but dragons lair 2.  I tried to change the location file from framefile.txt to just .txt and will not run. This way actually worked the best unless theres a different batch file that looks for "both .txt and framefile.txt " files in the vldp_dl folder.

Edited by onebadws6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
7 minutes ago, tallpr24 said:

is there any way to activate scan lines in daphney ?

I deleted all you other posts asking the same question. Please refrain from posting the same question over and over in multiple threads. Choose on or create an new thread and wait for any responses. 

I cannot assist in the answer as I rarely mess with Daphne launched games.