LaunchBox Community Forums

Easy way to change theme ONLY at a Category/Platform level?

Kondorito

Hey guys!

I have Big Box set up the way I like it, but I would love to try a new theme at the Category/Platform level only. The problem comes when changing the theme there, as it will change it as a whole for my 30+ platforms (game view) inside.

is there a way to only change a theme in the Categories or Platform list, but not inside the Platforms/Playlists? I don't mind if it involves editing xamls or xmls.

Thinking out loud, it would be great to have some sort of BigBox Snapshot feature; so all your settings/themes/views/etc/ info gets stored and you can get back to it in a couple of clicks, in case you mess it up or want to revert stuff you did.

Not sure if this answers your question but just in case:

1. Big Box/Options/View > Check box: "Remember Separate view for each platform"

2. Big Box/Options/Controller Buttons (and/or Keyboard Mappings)/Switch Theme > Map a button/key for Switch theme, now when you are in a platform you can use the button/key to switch and it will remember which theme you've used.

14 minutes ago, Mr. RetroLust said:

Not sure if this answers your question but just in case:

1. Big Box/Options/View > Check box: "Remember Separate view for each platform"

2. Big Box/Options/Controller Buttons (and/or Keyboard Mappings)/Switch Theme > Map a button/key for Switch theme, now when you are in a platform you can use the button/key to switch and it will remember which theme you've used.

The thing is that bullet 1 has to do with Views, not with Themes, so if I change the theme at the Platform selection level, it will change it as well inside each platform, keeping the view on each one yes, but with the new theme, not maintaining the one I had before.

Bullet 2 is what I did before when trying to test different themes in the Category/Platform level, so I changed it there, and then accessed each platform and switched the theme to the one I wanted. The problem with this is when you have over 30+ platforms, I cannot afford to change a theme on the Categories level, and then access each Platform one by one and switch the theme to the one it was before.

Makes sense?

6 minutes ago, DOS76 said:

Make a copy of your BB settings file then I'm pretty sure you can safely play around with it and just use that to overwrite the changes. Don't know if it will do what you want but it will at least allow you to safely experiment with it.

Cheers DOS; will take a look at that file once I get home and see if that works.