LaunchBox Community Forums

Quick Question About Bios Files

Codeen

OK, so I have my normal RetroArch and LB set up as always and everything is updated and it's full of all the necessary Bios files, well for some strange reason, I can not get reicast to work in that RetroArch so I downloaded a separate RA and just put the Naomi Bios files that are assigned for it to work so reicast would work in that one, and they did. So my real question is , can you have too many Bios files in the system folder or are there conflicting Bios files that won't make a emulator launch? This is probably the problem I had with the name and mess emulators when I couldn't get neo Geo CD to work. Sorry if this has been asked before 

27 minutes ago, Codeen said:

can you have too many Bios files in the system folder or are there conflicting Bios files that won't make a emulator launch?

No, you can have as many in there as you want, RA will only look for the correctly named ones and whether or not they are the correct checksum value, a wrong checksum value doesn't necessarily mean it won't work but a proper one will definitely work as long as it is named correctly.

38 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

No, you can have as many in there as you want, RA will only look for the correctly named ones and whether or not they are the correct checksum value, a wrong checksum value doesn't necessarily mean it won't work but a proper one will definitely work as long as it is named correctly.

Then lordmonkus how is it not recognizing them when they're the same ones I put in the new installation of RA, there has to be something conflicting it from loading up

On 2/19/2019 at 5:37 PM, steelcityjj said:

Are you trying to run Naomi or Dreamcast?  I read Reicast and assumed you were trying to run DC.  I use Demul for Naomi.  

I wish I could with that, Everytime I use demul, the load game screen pops up through LB, is there a default configuration line I should know about? I use the "-run =Naomi -rom="  but that's not good enough so I dunno. For Dreamcast I use standalone redream. Also since we're on Naomi do you know a way to get "dat" files to play , tried that and the last that came with it and nothing

38 minutes ago, Codeen said:

I wish I could with that, Everytime I use demul, the load game screen pops up through LB, is there a default configuration line I should know about? I use the "-run =Naomi -rom="  but that's not good enough so I dunno. For Dreamcast I use standalone redream. Also since we're on Naomi do you know a way to get "dat" files to play , tried that and the last that came with it and nothing

You need to set a different demul emulator in Launchbox. It can use the same .exe but you need to name it slightly differently, like "Demul Arcade" or something. Dreamcast and Arcade games need different emulator settings in Launchbox, so if you are using the same demul entry for Dreamcast and Arcade that wont work and you will get the Arcade game list instead.

1 minute ago, steelcityjj said:

I have RetroArch running DC with redream core.  I use Demul to run Naomi and Naomi 2.  Neil is correct about the Demul vs Arcade Demul.  That's who I have mine set in RocketLauncher.  

Yeah, as the arcade games use MAME roms you need the "use file name only" box checked. Thats why i said two different demuls pointing at the same .exe, you need different settings for both, so if you are using the same demul entry you were originally using for Dreamcast that wont work for Arcade games. You will just get the list of games to run, as the filename.zip was not passed to demul.

11 minutes ago, steelcityjj said:

I have RetroArch running DC with redream core.  I use Demul to run Naomi and Naomi 2.  Neil is correct about the Demul vs Arcade Demul.  That's who I have mine set in RocketLauncher.  

I use redream standalone, great and simple emu, just needs support for the WindowsCE games.