LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues getting box art

DaveC1964

I am having lots of issues getting box art and screen shots to import.  I use LB and don't have any emumovies account nor do I want to.  I only get a handful of images most of the time (except a few systems where it looks pretty complete).  I got almost NO GBA art, I got ZERO N64 box art and with a system as popular as that I doubt it is because there are none.  What do I need to do to get this to work?  Do I need to re-name ROMS to a specific name?  I hope not because that would take forever.

28 minutes ago, DaveC1964 said:

I am having lots of issues getting box art and screen shots to import.  I use LB and don't have any emumovies account nor do I want to.  I only get a handful of images most of the time (except a few systems where it looks pretty complete).  I got almost NO GBA art, I got ZERO N64 box art and with a system as popular as that I doubt it is because there are none.  What do I need to do to get this to work?  Do I need to re-name ROMS to a specific name?  I hope not because that would take forever.

There was really no need to create another thread on this issue. Your GBA issue has been explained why there are no images in that thread, so are your N64 the same? i have media for all my N64 library, there is plenty of art as long as your roms are not stupidly named and therefore can not be matched to games in our database.

32 minutes ago, DaveC1964 said:

What do I need to do to get this to work?  Do I need to re-name ROMS to a specific name?

The games simply need to be named somewhat correctly, there is some fuzzy matching going on if they are similar, but if they are named crazily different from the actual game name how can our database be expected to match them correctly?
Screenshot_(34).thumb.png.ed6aeb40d2f96b3e7aa2e838db003b16.png

2 minutes ago, DaveC1964 said:

I didn't rename anything they are just as found.  Here is a screenshot, I do not know if these are stupid names or not.  I don't know the rules or guidelines of how these should be named.

launchboximage.jpg

OK i see your issue, you have the file type in the game name, that should not be there. They are .z64.zip so Launchbox thinks that .zip is the file type so is keeping the .z64 in the file name, hence not matching the correct name. I have no idea where you got those roms, but i would suggest unzipping them all and re-importing. I think you will find you get art for everything that way.

That is a really strange way of naming the roms that you have, i dont know who's idea that was, but frontend software of any type will struggle badly with that naming scheme. 

Yeah launchbox has no idea what it is, but it removes the filetype when importing. So it is removing the .zip, but because there is also a .z64 before the .zip its keeping that in the game name. Basically your roms have two filetypes in the same name, which is silly and confusing the scraper.

16 minutes ago, DaveC1964 said:

Ok So I need to rename everything.  That is going to take some time.  I tried that bulk rename utility but had no idea what to do.  It isn't as simple as search for .z64 and remove it. 

Here is a example, in this i am removing the (USA) in the roms name. so you can see in the lower highlighted red box i have put (USA) and in the replace box left it blank. Then in the top red highlighted box you can see the original name and then what it will change to if i confirm it.

bru.thumb.png.11d5feecb92a3e6d21ffceb99d0d5d56.png

Yeah I just did it, thanks.  I wasn't sure what box to do it in so I just messed around until it worked.  I tried regex first but that wasn't it, so I did match next.   I then went to the LB N64 and had it remove missing games.  It got rid of them all.  I then went to the same tools to scan for added roms and it told me no games found.  So I had to go to the import ROMs and do it that way.  It is kind of confusing and un-intuitive but it works.  I am not sure why the scan didn't work.  It seems to me this could be streamlined better.  Scan for new games means scan for new games.  Not sure why similar functions are in two different places and one works and the other doesn't.   The end goal is the same, get the ROMs you add to show up in LB.

1 minute ago, DaveC1964 said:

Yeah I just did it, thanks.  I wasn't sure what box to do it in so I just messed around until it worked.  I tried regex first but that wasn't it, so I did match next.   I then went to the LB N64 and had it remove missing games.  It got rid of them all.  I then went to the same tools to scan for added roms and it told me no games found.  So I had to go to the import ROMs and do it that way.  It is kind of confusing and un-intuitive but it works.  I am not sure why the scan didn't work.  It seems to me this could be streamlined better.  Scan for new games means scan for new games.  Not sure why similar functions are in two different places and one works and the other doesn't.   The end goal is the same, get the ROMs you add to show up in LB.

The scan for new games scans in your Launchbox folder by default. If you have your roms elsewhere you need to tell Launchbox where they are and it will then remember to scan that folder. To be honest i have never used the scan for added roms feature, i just added what i wanted originally, and if i need to add something new i just drag and drop the files onto the launchbox window.

Shouldn't it remember where you imported everything else from then look there?  Obviously if someone imported everything from somewhere else, and they add something they will add it there too.  It sounds like a design flaw to me but whatever now I know.  Who is going to select a different folder for their ROMs, then just add new ones to the default LB folder which is in a different spot? Probably no one.

Edited by DaveC1964