LaunchBox Community Forums

Updating MAME Roms with LaunchBox

llaffer

Greetings.  I'm setting up LaunchBox to run a PC to go in an arcade cabinet.

I bought the PC earlier in the month and set it up with the MAME 0.206 set of ROMs.

Now that 0.207 has released with some new and updated ROMs, what process do I have to follow to tell LaunchBox about the updates?

Thanks.

Just now, llaffer said:

Greetings.  I'm setting up LaunchBox to run a PC to go in an arcade cabinet.

I bought the PC earlier in the month and set it up with the MAME 0.206 set of ROMs.

Now that 0.207 has released with some new and updated ROMs, what process do I have to follow to tell LaunchBox about the updates?

Thanks.

You will need to use a rom manager program like crlmamepro first to update your romset to 0.207 correctly. Then you can just run the mame fullset importer again, however as 0.207 only released today the new info is not in Launchbox yet, so if you were to do it now you would still have the same games as you do now. The updated metadata should be in Launchbox within a few days.

I am well versed in CLRMamePro, so that's not the problem.

So do I just re-import the ROM directory like I did the first time and it will know what to update/add?  Or will it blindly do everything again (taking hours to process) and overwriting a lot of redundant data?

8 minutes ago, llaffer said:

I am well versed in CLRMamePro, so that's not the problem.

So do I just re-import the ROM directory like I did the first time and it will know what to update/add?  Or will it blindly do everything again (taking hours to process) and overwriting a lot of redundant data?

Once the new metadata is added to Launchbox just run the fullset importer again and uncheck all media downloads, it will add any games added to 0.207. Then you can run the metadata and image wizard on all your arcade games and choose the option to only update games without metadata/images.

• Like 1

Just now, llaffer said:

Thanks.  You said it should take a few days, so if I do it this weekend or next week it should be ready?

Jason is usually pretty quick with it once he is able to get the new info he needs and adds it to the MAME metadata pack. Ill poke him in private and remind him the new version is out and ill post back here when the new metadata is available for download.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Jason is usually pretty quick with it once he is able to get the new info he needs and adds it to the MAME metadata pack. Ill poke him in private and remind him the new version is out and ill post back here when the new metadata is available for download.

OK the metadata is updated, so as long as Launchbox hasnt updated your metadata in the last 24 hours it will be available for download. Launchbox only checks for updated metadata once every 24 hours so you may have to wait if you already updated today.

Just now, llaffer said:

Unless that happens automatically when launched for the first time in the day, I manually processed a metadata upgrade and told it to download any updated/missing media.

I'll do the same process in a few days to make sure that things are updating.

It doesnt automatically update the metadata on launch, only when you initiate something that needs metadata like adding or editing games.

1 minute ago, llaffer said:

OK. Will I still have to ask it to re-load the ROMS to include new? Or will this also scan my ROMs for updates?

You will need to run the fullset importer once you have the new metadata, it will then add any games added this month (or remove games that did work but are now marked as not working this month, if any).

Somewhat related question here. I've been using a split set since... I think 197. Rather keep updating the split set, a few weeks ago I deleted that set and just redownloaded a non-merged set  .206 (I have two LB setsups, a full one with every game and a second one that I handpick so the non-merged seemed the best way to go). However, I had imported the split set completely on the first lb setup, and about 50 handpicked games on the second install. Perhaps luckily, all the games I handpicked launch fine, but I'm sure there's probably going to be some games in the entire set that don't. Is there a process to update/tell launchbox that I switched sets? Or do I even need to?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, fromlostdays said:

Somewhat related question here. I've been using a split set since... I think 197. Rather keep updating the split set, a few weeks ago I deleted that set and just redownloaded a non-merged set  .206 (I have two LB setsups, a full one with every game and a second one that I handpick so the non-merged seemed the best way to go). However, I had imported the split set completely on the first lb setup, and about 50 handpicked games on the second install. Perhaps luckily, all the games I handpicked launch fine, but I'm sure there's probably going to be some games in the entire set that don't. Is there a process to update/tell launchbox that I switched sets? Or do I even need to?

Thanks!

Launchbox doesnt care what set you have, it doesnt even technically import them, it just knows what games work from the metadata and tells MAME to load whatever game you pick, and as long as MAME knows where your games are it will launch it. MAME can obviously handle any set type so it doesnt matter.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have a couple of question to ask about mame in LB mainly: 

1. As far as I understood if LB does not have the new mame metadata for the new version of mame/rom set (like for 0.212) than the new games will not be imported or they will be imported but the game information will be lacking and you will be still able to launch a new game from the library?

2. How can you check what is the current version of mame metadata in LB and for which version of mame? Can you download those metadata somewhere? For example version 0.212.

3. Since the new importer of mame rom sets in LB (version 8.6 where the feature was introduced) the problem with importing merged rom sets is obsolete meaning there is no problem of importing merged and you don't have to use split rom pack?

Thank you in advance for the anwers.

• Like 1