LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there ANY method to utilize the star and home buttons on an 8bitdo controller?

candre23

It's killing me that I can't have a standardized menu/quit button across emulators.  I can use a button combo for some, but others don't allow mapping of combos.  My 8bitdo controllers have two extra buttons which would be perfect, but they just sit there, unwilling to bind in xinput mode.  I realize that, in their infinite wisdom, MS did not envision anybody ever needing more buttons than they include on their 360 controller, and therefore xinput doesn't support additional buttons.  Is there any way to work around this?  Maybe an alternate xinput driver or something?  I know the xbox elite controller has four additional paddles that can be mapped, but only by certain programs.  Is there a way to trick windows into thinking the 8bitdo is an elite controller and that the star and home buttons are two of the paddles?

FYI, those buttons are meant to be used/accessed when the controller is in switch mode.  In X-Input mode the home button will actually work as the x-box button, but that only opens the game bar in windows 10, and can't be mapped to anything while the screenshot is unmapped while in X-Input mode.  I agree it's a shame, but it's a limitation of X-Input mode/drivers I guess.  There were suggestions in other threads to see if a mapper program like joy2key might work, but I'm not sure if even that program will recognize those buttons while the controller is in X-Input mode :(

I have four SN30 Pro controllers and I've been using them in Direct Input mode, which lets me use the Star button and the triggers.  I don't see other people doing this so I assume there is a reason not to, but I'm not sure what it is.  (I don't use the SN30 Pros for modern games, just for emulation, which may be the reason.)

The main reason I can think of is the dinput has been depricated for a while now (meaning no longer supported/updated).  I never thought of using it for that reason really, but I guess if the emulators you are using still support dinput mode then it's a good way around not being able to use those buttons, as dinput will generally recognize and allow to map all buttons on any device really (something that xinput would be nice to have, but likely not going to happen as it's based on xbox controller functionality)

1 minute ago, CDBlue said:

The main reason I can think of is the dinput has been depricated for a while now (meaning no longer supported/updated).  I never thought of using it for that reason really, but I guess if the emulators you are using still support dinput mode then it's a good way around not being able to use those buttons, as dinput will generally recognize and allow to map all buttons on any device really (something that xinput would be nice to have, but likely not going to happen as it's based on xbox controller functionality)

I use mine in switch mode, windows recognizes it as a Switch Pro controller, as does Retroarch.

17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I use mine in switch mode, windows recognizes it as a Switch Pro controller, as does Retroarch.

The reason I would like to not do that is that I use them in Switch mode on my Raspberry Pi and this lets me swap back and forth on the platforms without repairing each time.  I'll play around with one of them this way though, thanks.

1 minute ago, GLRob said:

The reason I would like to not do that is that I use them in Switch mode on my Raspberry Pi and this lets me swap back and forth on the platforms without repairing each time.  I'll play around with one of them this way though, thanks.

Yeah thats fair enough then if you already pair it with another device in that mode.

So many ways to use them... gotta love the 8bitdo controllers :D Right now I have a SN30 Pro that I use in XInput mode, and will likely be getting the next round of controllers when they come out, the SN30 Pro+ G Classic Edition.  Looks really comfortable with all the same features of the SN30 Pros

18 hours ago, CDBlue said:

So many ways to use them... gotta love the 8bitdo controllers :D Right now I have a SN30 Pro that I use in XInput mode, and will likely be getting the next round of controllers when they come out, the SN30 Pro+ G Classic Edition.  Looks really comfortable with all the same features of the SN30 Pros

I'm probably going to pass on those because I have four of the others, but I'm planning to pick up two of the M30 pads to play Street Fighter with.  They seem to be the best wireless Saturn-style pads out there and even though they're really meant to be Genesis pads, I'm guessing 8bitdo isn't going to make another one so similar.

• 3 years later...

use in D Input Mode
Map Home to HotKeyEnable - Press that and L2/R2 to Rewind/Fast Forward
Leave Star Key as unmapped coz the default 8BitDo behavior is that if you press a key + Star key that key becomes Turbo key!

These are the best use cases for retro gaming
I have raked my brains and the internet and have come upon this solution