LaunchBox Community Forums

Best option to emulate dreamcast in retroarch

camboico

Hello, I will try to centralize all my emulators with retroarch ... and I have a doubt.

I was using Demul, and I was quite happy with its compatibility for both dreamcast and naomi.
To emulate dreamcast which option is better in retroarch? Reicast or redream?

Yes, I mean that ... That with demul I'm going to find fewer problems when it comes to compatibility with the number of games.

if the idea of centralizing all emulation in retroarch, is for the use of shaders and avoid having to configure a different emulator for each platform.

Once again I thank you for your response

Retroarch is great and I use it probably more than anyone but in some cases it doesn't make sense to use even though it does emulate certain systems. For example I would never recommend anyone use it for Gamecube / Wii games with the Dolphin core, the stand alone is better. Same for the PSP, the stand alone is the better choice over the PPSSPP core even though the core is not terrible.

Now having said that, I actually use the Reicast core in RA in my current setup but my Dreamcast setup only has a small selection of games and they all work fine with the core. On my HTPC setup I have many more games and I do use Demul with it. Once Redream gets the WinCE games supported I plan on purchasing the 5$ license and making the move to that.

Yeah the RA version of PPSSPP isn't bad at all and is kept up to date fairly well, I just prefer and recommend the stand alone version because it is just such a high quality emulator on its own already and doesn't need any of the RA stuff unless you really want a shader or bezel for it.