LaunchBox Community Forums

Mass Importing Windows Games From External Drive

Drakkorcia

I am trying to find the quickest and easiest way to re-import a large collection of installed Windows games that are installed on a secondary drive. I tried using the Windows game importer from the tools menu but it went looking for games installed under Program Files on the system drive. I tried dragging and dropping the exe but it didn't find any metadata or launch correctly. The way I've been doing it is to simply "add game", type in the game name, Launchbox adds the metadata and then I select the application path. Works, but long and tedious. Any way to select the folder on my secondary drive and have Launchbox find all the games at once? 

2 hours ago, Drakkorcia said:

I am trying to find the quickest and easiest way to re-import a large collection of installed Windows games that are installed on a secondary drive. I tried using the Windows game importer from the tools menu but it went looking for games installed under Program Files on the system drive. I tried dragging and dropping the exe but it didn't find any metadata or launch correctly. The way I've been doing it is to simply "add game", type in the game name, Launchbox adds the metadata and then I select the application path. Works, but long and tedious. Any way to select the folder on my secondary drive and have Launchbox find all the games at once? 

You can just drag and drop the .exe or shortcuts onto the Launchbox window, then when the wizard opens you choose the "None Of The Above" option which doesnt associate them with a emulator.

What you could do is to go to root of the drive and do a search for 

*.exe

and that will filter out all the executable files. Select them all and drag them in like Neil said above. Make sure that only the game files are being imported by removing anything that you don't want imported like a config tool or something.

6 minutes ago, Drakkorcia said:

It's still manual but a little faster. Hopefully a mass import for external drive option will be available someday

The problem there is many games have more than one .exe they may have a 32 and 64bit one as well as directx installs or anticheat software, so you would get a lot of non games added if you just scraped a drive for .exe's.

What i do is just have a folder on my desktop where i drop all my shortcuts.

image.thumb.png.d9cf3e4532576ed209c6b0bb69d058b7.png