LaunchBox Community Forums

Steady frame rate

Jrhd13

I've got an i3 4130 with 8gbddr3 ram and a gt 1030 2gb gddr5 card. What settings do I need to change to get solid 60fps in retroarch. It fluctuate's between 57-60fps. I use it for usual retro consoles and psx. I use ppsspp separate and dolphin separate as well. Any help to get a solid 60fps would be great.

16 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Stock settings of a clean install should run fine on those specs but you can try enabling threaded video for some extra performance.

Would having vsync and hard gpu sync as well as threaded video be good?

V-Sync should be on in any case, hard gpu sync off would increase performance as well as threaded video but the side effect of those 2 would be increased input latency. You can toggle them to see which combo gives you the best performance.

Are you running RA with the default settings out of the box ? Because like I said before, it should run fin on that hardware for all the cores except for maybe the Higan and Beetle Saturn cores. Those 2 are probably the most demanding cores available.

Try V-Sync On, Hard GPU Sync On and Threaded Video On and see how that handles for you. You will get more input lag because of threaded video but it shouldn't be noticeable unless you are extremely sensitive to it. If you still have issues you could then try turning off Hard GPU Sync and Threaded Video. If that leaves you with not quite 60 fps then you will have to try Hard GPU Sync Off and Threaded Video On, this is less than ideal of course but it should be fine then.

But again those settings seem a bit excessive on your hardware even though your system isn't really high end it's not garbage for some basic emulation like NES and SNES (using Snes9x).

Also make sure to try a fresh clean install, out of the box is pretty optimized for all but the extremely low end hardware. You may have played with other settings and toggled something that could be causing issues.

33 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Try V-Sync On, Hard GPU Sync On and Threaded Video On and see how that handles for you. You will get more input lag because of threaded video but it shouldn't be noticeable unless you are extremely sensitive to it. If you still have issues you could then try turning off Hard GPU Sync and Threaded Video. If that leaves you with not quite 60 fps then you will have to try Hard GPU Sync Off and Threaded Video On, this is less than ideal of course but it should be fine then.

But again those settings seem a bit excessive on your hardware even though your system isn't really high end it's not garbage for some basic emulation like NES and SNES (using Snes9x).

Also make sure to try a fresh clean install, out of the box is pretty optimized for all but the extremely low end hardware. You may have played with other settings and toggled something that could be causing issues.

Should it say N/A for estimated screen framerate