LaunchBox Community Forums

1 year later. Still suffering from same issue

Xrc6

Just out of curiosity, not sure if it's related to the issue or not. But do you have launchbox install on the local machine, or a NAS/External drive?  If it is a local install, where did you select to install LB?  Same question for your roms, local to the same machine that you're trying to launch them on or on a NAS/External drive?  I'm wondering if maybe there's a permission issue going on here?  Again, just taking a stab at some other possible answers to what you're seeing.

6 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Just out of curiosity, not sure if it's related to the issue or not. But do you have launchbox install on the local machine, or a NAS/External drive?  If it is a local install, where did you select to install LB?  Same question for your roms, local to the same machine that you're trying to launch them on or on a NAS/External drive?  I'm wondering if maybe there's a permission issue going on here?  Again, just taking a stab at some other possible answers to what you're seeing.

It's installed at C:\Games\Launchbox. Roms were set to move to LB's Game folder. I keep a copy of that folder on an external HD in case anything happens.

Although I've had this video not playing issues before on a number of roms, I could mess with them individually to get them working again, usually re-assign folder, switch to WMP and back or a few things like that. This is actually the first time that no video plays and nothing I do helps it and more than that, it happened immediately after I just reinstalled LB.  Even though my previous install had the issue of C64 games suddenly not playing, at least the videos did play....so what could have happened there?. However they play fine in Big Box mode...so I'm pretty sure this is some kind of bug and maybe it's related to how Windows OS or the media players function. VLC is the latest version and installed somewhat recently.

I'm going to try reinstalling VLC. *edit: I reinstalled VLC, videos still don't play in desktop mode.

Edited by Xrc6

Ok thx for reporting back.  Nothing there seems to point to a permissions issue that I can see (at least not as far as LB/BB or roms are concerned). Was just a thought I had when I was reading your issue, so worth asking to be sure :(  Another thought, are you experiencing any other weird glitches with any other software on that PC other than LB/BB?  Maybe it's a hardware issue that just seems to manifest itself more with LB/BB? Do you know how to run a Memtest and HD test just to see if things are fine there?

8 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

If it's still not showing the videos after that, then for some reason it's just not finding the video files. If you edit the game, does the video file show up in the Game Video Path field?

Yes it shows, as you can see in one of my posted screenshots. You can see the video path is correct and the video file is there. In fact it plays fine in Big Box mode. But not at all in desktop mode, so yes it can't find the file in that mode. I don't know how LB is different between the 2 modes code wise...just like it suddenly could not find my emulator core to launch C64 games. Again these seem too similar, some kind of bug occurs that causes LB to lose it's link even though it's set or re-assigned, that link is permanently broken after that.  It's what I've been trying to say, now whether LB updating itself is somehow causing it, I'm not sure since I didn't pay enough attention at the exact moment but I only noticed all of these kinds of issues at some point soon after LB updates itself. Again I don't play all that often so it's not unusual for me to play a few times then not again for 2 months only to find LB wants to update.

Edited by Xrc6

29 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

Ok thx for reporting back.  Nothing there seems to point to a permissions issue that I can see (at least not as far as LB/BB or roms are concerned). Was just a thought I had when I was reading your issue, so worth asking to be sure :(  Another thought, are you experiencing any other weird glitches with any other software on that PC other than LB/BB?  Maybe it's a hardware issue that just seems to manifest itself more with LB/BB? Do you know how to run a Memtest and HD test just to see if things are fine there?

Everything seems to work normal. Dell has their own hardware diagnostic software which also updates drivers and it checked fine last I used it. But the C64 roms suddenly not launching also happened on my previous laptop, Lenovo Yoga. With the videos not playing issue, they do play in Big Box...so that's something. It shows that the issue doesn't affect BB mode but only Desktop mode. That just about has to be something with LB or how it interacts with VLC and WMP media players.

With VLC, you should not need to install any codec pack.  VLC has most codecs built into the program, so unless you're trying to play some really obscure format, I would advise against installing any codec pack on modern systems... used to be needed back in the day when software did not come bundled with codecs.