LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox import/scraping issue?

wallmachine

Not sure about the name being changed during the import, etc. but I can confirm your thoughts on the "-" vs ":" though.  Since Windows doesn't allow for ":" characters to be in the filename it seems the nomenclature is for "-" to be usually used to replace that character.  When LB imports a file and it sees a "-" in the name it seems to always interpret that as a ":" for the game name field.  One thought though, in your preferences for regions in LB, do you have Japan selected as a preferred region for scraping?  Perhaps that is the issue?

7 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Not sure about the name being changed during the import, etc. but I can confirm your thoughts on the "-" vs ":" though.  Since Windows doesn't allow for ":" characters to be in the filename it seems the nomenclature is for "-" to be usually used to replace that character.  When LB imports a file and it sees a "-" in the name it seems to always interpret that as a ":" for the game name field.  One thought though, in your preferences for regions in LB, do you have Japan selected as a preferred region for scraping?  Perhaps that is the issue?

Thanks for the response.. With the optional change of name at the end of the wizard even if I changed it to whatever I wanted doesn't matter japanese or not it would take on the games database title so I guess that part doesn't work.
image.thumb.png.b3c9ade4d40845781291708fd48fcbc6.png

@wallmachine If you check Japan in your region priorities as the third one, does it still rename the Japanese games on import? The generally recommended way is to leave the Combine Games with Matching Titles box checked, which would then put the Japanese version in as an additional app, so that's the reason why it's working the way it is, I guess. I can see how that could be improved though if you don't want to combine your games. Per the update wizard, it makes sense that the replace option would rename the title, but I would hope that the don't overwrite option does not. So I suppose that's one way that should work to do what you want to do; just import without searching for metadata, and then run the update wizard and tell it not to replace.

3 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@wallmachine If you check Japan in your region priorities as the third one, does it still rename the Japanese games on import? The generally recommended way is to leave the Combine Games with Matching Titles box checked, which would then put the Japanese version in as an additional app, so that's the reason why it's working the way it is, I guess. I can see how that could be improved though if you don't want to combine your games. Per the update wizard, it makes sense that the replace option would rename the title, but I would hope that the don't overwrite option does not. So I suppose that's one way that should work to do what you want to do; just import without searching for metadata, and then run the update wizard and tell it not to replace.

Having the Games Database scrape option checked in the wizard and Japan checked under Region Priorities and check 'Combine ROMs with matching titles into a single game' it will add them as you say into one Game. However if in BigBox I have turned off the 'Skip Games Details Screen' I can't choose what version of the game to select maybe a pop-up after you select the game to choose a version?

I would like to keep the Japanese name and as a separate entry so I won't select scraping in the wizard because if I do it will change the Game Title no matter what.

But what If I have already got metadata and would like to update the metadata because some corrections have been made on the Games Database I won't have an option to update that information and only select the first option and lose the naming I have done manually?

image.thumb.png.2f774ccf98749c0e3b12054170080a66.png

15 minutes ago, wallmachine said:

Having the Games Database scrape option checked in the wizard and Japan checked under Region Priorities and check 'Combine ROMs with matching titles into a single game' it will add them as you say into one Game. However if in BigBox I have turned off the 'Skip Games Details Screen' I can't choose what version of the game to select maybe a pop-up after you select the game to choose a version?

I would like to keep the Japanese name and as a separate entry so I won't select scraping in the wizard because if I do it will change the Game Title no matter what.

But what If I have already got metadata and would like to update the metadata because some corrections have been made on the Games Database I won't have an option to update that information and only select the first option and lose the naming I have done manually?

image.thumb.png.2f774ccf98749c0e3b12054170080a66.png

It makes just as much sense to fix titles if they're updated as it does any other field. So we'd have to add granular options for each and every field if we wanted the option to keep one, like title, when choosing replace.

Regardless, what might make sense to do instead (eventually) is to use the Japanese alternate title from the database if it matches, instead of the default name. I'll add that to my list.

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2019 at 9:43 AM, Jason Carr said:

It makes just as much sense to fix titles if they're updated as it does any other field. So we'd have to add granular options for each and every field if we wanted the option to keep one, like title, when choosing replace.

Regardless, what might make sense to do instead (eventually) is to use the Japanese alternate title from the database if it matches, instead of the default name. I'll add that to my list.

As this got added to your list sometime ago just wondering did it ever get implemented?

• 3 weeks later...