LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME CHD's

Drakkorcia

There seems to be little information on the proper handling of CHD's for MAME regarding maintaining and updating. I have never been really big on CHD's due to most being non working but there have been improvements to the point I want to expand my collection of them. My CHD's are a bit dated version wise and I would like to know the following:

1) How do we update our CHD's to match the version of MAME that we have? While full MAME sets are readily available, CHD's are not and are often many versions behind current MAME. At best, the most current CHD's available are a few versions behind current. Do we have to rollback a few versions in order to use them?

2) Can we use "merged" CHD's with a split or non merged MAME romset? Or does MAME set type have to match CHD set type exactly?

I would just like to learn the proper way to keep CHD's running smoothly like the rest of MAME roms. At least the ones that work. I use Arcade 64 to see if CHD's are reported non working or not.

Appreciate any wisdom on this.

1) Up to date sets are readily available at the same place as the rom sets, PleasureDome. They don't always receive version number updates to match the rom set version numbers because they don't change as often but they are up to date.

2) Yes, you can use the Merged CHDs with any rom set type.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. So far everything is running great. I did have one small request and that is when a game has multiple versions and you can choose the version you want by right clicking the game and selecting it (like the way multiple disks are handled), is there a way to select which version is the default? For example, Maximum Force when the game is left clicked the no gore version starts. In order to select the regular version I have to right click and select a different version. If there is a way to change the order it would be ideal.