LaunchBox Community Forums

Update Sets Launchbox only

actioncomics

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the proper way to update romsets in launchbox.  For example if I download a full set and don't know exactly what has been updated/added...is there a way to update the set in Launchbox without manually looking at each file?  Or, would it be better if I learn how to use the other 3rd party tools to compare romsets.  I know launchbox won't install duplicates, but if that duplicate has been updated, then i would want it copied over.

Keep in mind, I have never used the mame dat files in the past, I have always just imported in a full set.  I am hoping that launchbox can do this so i can avoid this step.

With MAME in particular, you might try the "scan for new roms" feature in Launchbox, as update MAME sets aren't changing the names of roms. So even if they updated a rom, if it's already in launchbox, launchbox will just automatically load the updated rom. No problems there. The only problem would be if the MAME version has added new roms, and "Scan for new roms" might catch that. Since I only update mame roms like once a year, I usually do the method mentioned above myself. Just delete the games and reimport, as you don't lose the Artwork. Just a few extra minutes.

• 3 weeks later...