LaunchBox Community Forums

9.8 issues with font scaling in LB

CDBlue

Hey guys,

I just updated to the final/release version of LB/BB on my main retrogamer machine, which I have connected to a big screen TV.  In order to read things properly I have windows scaling set to 150%.  On that machine, when I launch LB I get an odd mix of font sizes.  Some are regular (150%) and some are not (100%), making some really hard to read from a distance.  The only way I found to correct this was to to bypass scaling in the comparability tab in LB (right-click / properties in Windows) options.  Problem is, my Windows also just updated to the 1903 release of Windows 10 that same day, and I hadn't launched LB/BB after that was done either... so I don't know if the issue is with LB/BB and scaling, or if 1903 changed something on my machine.  Anyway, I thought I'd report it in case others are seeing the same thing, and it might be something that needs to be addressed.

Here are some screenshots to show what I mean:
ss3.thumb.png.a37de29ae64e8a93507beee8fb419245.pngAbove image (some text is large, some are tiny)

ss4.thumb.png.f0d91744b163e5ff0ac96a54b3c98270.pngAbove image - Change settings to change high dpi settings

ss5.thumb.png.d1fffc432e5c1bc14c6361686af23c28.pngAbove image - All fonts/text back to same size again

14 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

Hey guys,

I just updated to the final/release version of LB/BB on my main retrogamer machine, which I have connected to a big screen TV.  In order to read things properly I have windows scaling set to 150%.  On that machine, when I launch LB I get an odd mix of font sizes.  Some are regular (150%) and some are not (100%), making some really hard to read from a distance.  The only way I found to correct this was to to bypass scaling in the comparability tab in LB (right-click / properties in Windows) options.  Problem is, my Windows also just updated to the 1903 release of Windows 10 that same day, and I hadn't launched LB/BB after that was done either... so I don't know if the issue is with LB/BB and scaling, or if 1903 changed something on my machine.  Anyway, I thought I'd report it in case others are seeing the same thing, and it might be something that needs to be addressed.

Here are some screenshots to show what I mean:
ss3.thumb.png.a37de29ae64e8a93507beee8fb419245.pngAbove image (some text is large, some are tiny)

ss4.thumb.png.f0d91744b163e5ff0ac96a54b3c98270.pngAbove image - Change settings to change high dpi settings

ss5.thumb.png.d1fffc432e5c1bc14c6361686af23c28.pngAbove image - All fonts/text back to same size again

I just checked here at 150% scaling on a 4K TV and the font sizes are all uniform for me, i usually use 200% scaling so i changed to 150% and rebooted and it seems fine for me. I am also on 1903 but from a earlier insider build.

image.thumb.png.f67a1f2bf5525aec3b0284ffa591ba93.pngAre you at 1080p with scaling or another resolution?

hmm I'm at 1080p with 125% magnification.  I tried my other PC that I also have updated to the latest 1903 that came out a couple of days ago, and LB is doing the same thing on there if I set the scale/magnification in Windows to 125%.  That one is connected to a monitor, so I normally just leave it at 100% (recommended) and it has no issues there.

34 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

hmm I'm at 1080p with 125% magnification.  I tried my other PC that I also have updated to the latest 1903 that came out a couple of days ago, and LB is doing the same thing on there if I set the scale/magnification in Windows to 125%.  That one is connected to a monitor, so I normally just leave it at 100% (recommended) and it has no issues there.

I have noticed that Windows has issues if you change the DPI and don't reboot, or at least log out. So that may be the reason; you may just need to reboot. Other than that, the only other issues I'm aware of are related to dual-monitor setups with different DPIs on each monitor; Windows still has issues dealing with that, so that's not really a recommended scenario.

Beyond that, idk, maybe it could be a driver issue?

Yeah, I did reboot after playing with the scaling, etc.  It's not a big issue I guess, with the work around of checking those boxes in the compatibility tab it all looks fine.  I just wasn't sure if it was a bug introduced in 9.8, or Windows 10 1903 update, or like you said maybe it's a drive issue that's appeared as a result of the 1903 update process.  I might try to uninstall and re-install my nVidia drivers and see if that changes anything. It's unfortunate (for me I guess if no one else is having similar issues) as both LB/BB and Windows updated the same day, so I don't know who the culprit is for sure :)

Edited by CDBlue

Ok, found the issue. It was Windows update process messing up the nVidia drivers.  I downloaded the latest version (same ones I had already) and just did a clean install and all is good again.  So, if anyone else has this issue, first thing to try is to re-download and do a clean re-install of your video card drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1