LaunchBox Community Forums

The old story... controller not working in Big Box + Steam Link

Middcore

I know there have been many past threads about issues like this, and I think I have read them all, but I haven't found a solution.

I have Big Box added to Steam as a non-Steam game/shortcut. I can launch Big Box through my Steam Link just fine. However, once Big Box has started, my controllers (Xbox One controller connected to the SL via Bluetooth or Xbox 360 controller with official Microsoft wireless adapter) are not recognized by Big Box for input. 

I should note that if I start Big Box on my PC in Big Picture mode (rather than through the Steam Link), the controller works. It's only when BB is started through SL that it stops recognizing the controller.

The really frustrating part was that it DID work when I first installed Big Box last night and then stopped for no reason I can discern. 

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide. 

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

I know there have been many past threads about issues like this, and I think I have read them all, but I haven't found a solution.

I have Big Box added to Steam as a non-Steam game/shortcut. I can launch Big Box through my Steam Link just fine. However, once Big Box has started, my controllers (Xbox One controller connected to the SL via Bluetooth or Xbox 360 controller with official Microsoft wireless adapter) are not recognized by Big Box for input. 

I should note that if I start Big Box on my PC in Big Picture mode (rather than through the Steam Link), the controller works. It's only when BB is started through SL that it stops recognizing the controller.

The really frustrating part was that it DID work when I first installed Big Box last night and then stopped for no reason I can discern. 

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can provide. 

Yep, its a known issue with steam link, it knows that you launched launchbox/bigbox, it doesnt however know that that program then launched another (the emulator). You need to look into a paid steam app called "Virtual Here".

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Yep, its a known issue with steam link, it knows that you launched launchbox/bigbox, it doesnt however know that that program then launched another (the emulator). You need to look into a paid steam app called "Virtual Here".

I see. Is this a relatively recent problem? I was watching this guide video from ETA Prime where he makes it sound like the Xbox One controller works smoothly with no reference to Virtual Here. 

I'm still puzzled by why it would work initially and then stop. I can't think of any setting I would have changed that would make a difference. Should I reinstall LB/BB from scratch just to see?

Edited by Middcore

OK, just paid $13.99 for VirtualHere on Steam. If it's running, the Steam Link now believes that there is a "game in progress" on my computer, so when I start streaming from SL I get my desktop mirrored and it's difficult/impossible to start anything else. Obviously I am missing something about how to use this?

Just now, Middcore said:

OK, just paid $13.99 for VirtualHere on Steam. If it's running, the Steam Link now believes that there is a "game in progress" on my computer, so when I start streaming from SL I get my desktop mirrored and it's difficult/impossible to start anything else. Obviously I am missing something about how to use this?

If i was you i would refund it, at least until you know how it works and what it does specifically.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

If i was you i would refund it, at least until you know how it works and what it does specifically.

You told me above I needed this application to solve my problem?  Just looking for some help here, folks.

If I start streaming through SL, start VirtualHere through SL, then start Big Box, I still don't get any controller input.

I've enabled VirtualHere for my controllers through the Steam Link settings and it still doesn't seem to do anything.

Edited by Middcore

11 minutes ago, Middcore said:

You told me above I needed this application to solve my problem?  Just looking for some help here, folks.

If I start streaming through SL, start VirtualHere through SL, then start Big Box, I still don't get any controller input.

I've enabled VirtualHere for my controllers through the Steam Link settings and it still doesn't seem to do anything.

I did say it may be needed, what i didnt do however is tell you to rush out and buy it immediately. I would refund it for the moment, and re-buy it when @Zombeaver better explains.

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I did say it may be needed, what i didnt do however is tell you to rush out and buy it immediately.

I didn't have to rush out, I just did it sitting on my butt on my computer. Ah the dangers of online impulse buying, you sounded pretty definitive and I was eager. ? But I've requested a refund and I'll sit tight for the moment and hope someone can enlighten me about this.

Edited by Middcore

The Steam Link does feature VirtualHere integration, but I don't use VirtualHere, as I've never needed it. In my experience, the only thing I've needed to do is 1) add Big Box as a non-steam application 2) tell Big Box to use "all controllers" in the settings 3) make sure that whatever emulator I'm using uses xinput (which is something that VirtualHere can help get around, in the event that the emulator is dinput only).

I did initially have to indicate in Steam Link / Big Picture that I did not want Steam to automatically configure my controller, as this tends to create problems where it erroneously treats the controller like a keyboard+mouse when you don't want it to, though I did that ages ago and the process for that has changed multiple times since then... but basically you just want to make sure that it only treats it like a controller in all cases. How you do that at this point... I'm not entirely sure. It should be in Big Picture's controller section somewhere.

All of this should also come with the caveat that I haven't used my Steam Link in over a year.

• 3 months later...

Middcore ever resolve this?

If i cant use bigbox via steamlink (actually steamlink app) then its become very close to useless for me.   

I tried a DS4 wired to the shieldtv unit.   Ive tried the steam controller wireless over bluetooth.

all work to launch bigbox, but once im in the bigbox menu,  My controller(s) simply stop working. 

4 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

Middcore ever resolve this?

If i cant use bigbox via steamlink (actually steamlink app) then its become very close to useless for me.   

I tried a DS4 wired to the shieldtv unit.   Ive tried the steam controller wireless over bluetooth.

all work to launch bigbox, but once im in the bigbox menu,  My controller(s) simply stop working. 

Nope, I gave up, and therefore gave up on LaunchBox as well until I ever get around to building a dedicated emulation PC I suppose. 

hrm.  not what i was hoping for.

I wonder if its a case of how the window is drawn, why steam isnt picking it up as a running application and passing controls.

I tried with bigbox as admin.   Tried with steam as admin.   Running out of options myself.   Ironically enough, the shieldtv remote was navigating the menu lol.  

Will let ya know if i come up with anything, but today is my 2nd day on it so if i dont make some headway by the end of the night - ill likely be tossing in the towel myself. 

yea it wants to pass controls.   If i hold a direction as it starts up, it'll scroll like 1 or 2 categories then stop.   Also if you press the guide button and bring up the steam overlay while mashing a direction, it'll move a category or so before choking.

has to be something to do with the window not taking or keeping focus.   Not sure if its not drawn conventionally or its a shortcoming on steams side, but bigbox is the only time ive ran into this, at least so far.