LaunchBox Community Forums

RA - Standalone Emulators not working SegaCD / MAME

TechXero

Just now, TechXero said:

Ok I closed RA and reloaded it a few times now it says present with a couple still missing like sk n other ones not needed... In process of re-adding Sega ROMs. What about MAME Standalone Emulator why isn't it working ? Does nothing as for RA mame 2016 libretro core it works fine...

In mame directly (not using Launchbox) do the games play? 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, TechXero said:

Nope. I dragged n dropped a rom zip onto Mame it just flashes for a sec n nothing...

Not how it is going to work properly. What Mame are you using? regular Mame, MameUI or Arcade64?

Which ever version it is you need to open up the user interface and find the option to set a directory path. Then tell Mame the folder path to your Mame roms. Once set you should be able to open Mame click a working game and have it load. Once you confirm it is working directly in Mame than test in Launchbox.

40 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Not how it is going to work properly. What Mame are you using? regular Mame, MameUI or Arcade64?

Which ever version it is you need to open up the user interface and find the option to set a directory path. Then tell Mame the folder path to your Mame roms. Once set you should be able to open Mame click a working game and have it load. Once you confirm it is working directly in Mame than test in Launchbox.

Ok now some ROMs are working others if run through Mame itself give me error with system message. I am using regular MAMEx64 emu. 

11 hours ago, TechXero said:

Ok now some ROMs are working others if run through Mame itself give me error with system message. I am using regular MAMEx64 emu. 

If you are talking about errors like the image below that is just the nag screen to let you know emulation is not perfect. If it gives a pop-up an error like certain files are missing that is a bit different. You can find version of Mame someone compiled called NoNag that removes that or you can learn to compile you own. 

I forgot NJDave posts a NoNag version here

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 7.14.36 AM.png

Edited by Retro808
Added NoNag link

12 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you are talking about errors like the image below that is just the nag screen to let you know emulation is not perfect. If it gives a pop-up an error like certain files are missing that is a bit different. You can find version of Mame someone compiled called NoNag that removes that or you can learn to compile you own. 

I forgot NJDave posts a NoNag version here

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 7.14.36 AM.png

Thanks for that but not all ROMs are working with that version flashes then back to LB only a handful ran. And yes got all bios files in system.

4 minutes ago, TechXero said:

Thanks for that but not all ROMs are working with that version flashes then back to LB only a handful ran. And yes got all bios files in system.

Probably the wrong version for the version of mame you are using. MAME is VERY picky with its roms, this is why everything is versioned, match your rom versions with the correct MAME emulator version

6 minutes ago, TechXero said:

If some roms work all should work. That is if it is a working game per Mame.  Are your roms ones you pieced together from sites or did you download a complete romset? If it is a set do you know which version?

2 minutes ago, TechXero said:

I don't remember bro. Got it 2 moths ago got 1600+ ROMs...,

If you do not know which version your roms are there is not a lot more we can do to help. The fact that some work and others dont leads me to believe you are using the wrong version of the MAME emulator, but without knowing what version the roms are we cant tell you which version of the emulator to use.

1 minute ago, TechXero said:

I think it was part of a RaspBerry Pi 256gb RetroPie image took most my ROMs from there.

Yeah piece mailing like that is probably the issue, plus I believe Rpi typically uses a very old version of Mame roms. I would recommend downloading a more current full romset.

1 minute ago, TechXero said:

You mean the games themselves are old ?

Yes. MAME works differently to all other emulators, the roms themselves actually change over time when better dumps are made, or when improvements are made to the emulator. Files can be added/removed/altered and renamed inside the game.zip.

This is why the romsets and the emulator are versioned. If you had say a 0.210 romset then the 0.210 version of the emulator the games will be guaranteed to be compatible. If you are using say a 0.180 romset with a 0.210 MAME emulator then a lot of games will still work just fine, but any game that has had files altered since 0.180 will not work in 0.210, period.

MAME emulator and romsets are updated every single month, so if a game.zip changes one month it will no longer work in previous versions of MAME, only the current one and ones moving forward, until the file changes again.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Yes. MAME works differently to all other emulators, the roms themselves actually change over time when better dumps are made, or when improvements are made to the emulator. Files can be added/removed/altered and renamed inside the game.zip.

This is why the romsets and the emulator are versioned. If you had say a 0.210 romset then the 0.210 version of the emulator the games will be guaranteed to be compatible. If you are using say a 0.180 romset with a 0.210 MAME emulator then a lot of games will still work just fine, but any game that has had files altered since 0.180 will not work in 0.210, period.

MAME emulator and romsets are updated every single month, so if a game.zip changes one month it will no longer work in previous versions of MAME, only the current one and ones moving forward, until the file changes again.

Wow! how is one to keep up with this stuff ? It's hard enough having to keep up with PC games let alone retro ones... How is one to update ROMs ? get an updated 200gb zip ? Not something I can do on caped Internet... Weird thing is I set default emu to RA with mame 2016 libretro core now almost 80% of ROMs run xD

3 minutes ago, TechXero said:

Wow! how is one to keep up with this stuff ? It's hard enough having to keep up with PC games let alone retro ones... How is one to update ROMs ? get an updated 200gb zip ? Not something I can do on caped Internet... Weird thing is I set default emu to RA with mame 2016 libretro core now almost 80% of ROMs run xD

If your roms are really from a PI build i recommend trying the MAME 2003plus core.

image.thumb.png.79518a553377ac59e3525fbd20e0c8ee.png