LaunchBox Community Forums

Pause menu and PC Games

Styphelus

The Pause menu doesn't seem to work when playing PC games. Sometimes is starts, sometimes it doesn't and it only seems to work in a very small amount of games. When it does work, it usually freezes and when it doesn't freeze, it returns to Launchbox or the desktop instead of the game. The game will be minimized in the taskbar. I know some PC games like taking over and even the Rocketlauncher Pause menu has some trouble with certain games but I only tested it in games where the Rocketlauncher Pause menu works. The results are the same if I start games directly from Launchbox without using Rocketlauncher so this is not related to using Rocketlauncher. If the Rocketlauncher Pause menu works in all the games I tested, I would assume the Launchbox Pause Menu should work as well but it doesn't. 

As anyone experienced similar issues?

Pause menus and PC games are very rough. The primary issue is that every game behaves differently, and so every single game requires a different configuration and method. On top of that, there are far more PC games than games for any particular console. So, yeah, I don't recommend pause for PC games. As far as I know it's never been done well, and that's because it's not really possible.

• Like 1

For what it's worth though, you can configure each PC game individually with different pause screen settings. If you play around with the settings, you'll probably find settings that work for most games. There are probably some though that won't work at all. Regardless, every single game is likely to need manually configured.

• Like 1

I didn't even know there were individual game settings for the Pause screens. Anyway, I tried a few different settings but still no go. In most cases it fails to even come up. It's ok. I'll just keep using the Rocketlauncher Pause menu for the time being since that one works fairly well for 80% of PC games. Thanks for the reply.