LaunchBox Community Forums

DS4 controller analog controls with MAME shooting games

LMD75

Has anyone managed to tweak their DS4 /Xbox controller's analog controls to play nicely with Mame shooting games such as Operation Wolf /Thunderbolt, Star Wars etc? I have tried adjusting the analog controls sensitivity in Mame for the specific game without much success.  Its only decent with a mouse but this is not ideal as I play on the couch.

Could someone share their settings.  If these settings cannot be tweaked or improved dramatically then does anyone have experience with an air mouse or trackball?  

I just tested Operation Wolf with my 360 controller. The default Lightgun X/Y Analog settings on mine were for the left joystick (JOY1 LSX/Y) and ya, it was majorly wonky!

In game, I went to settings [tab] and Input (This Machine).  I change the lightgun to the right joystick, and now the right joystick was wonky (as should be expected).  BUT the left joystick was able to control the crosshairs and was working smoothly.   ?????   This was done when launching it through LaunchBox.

I exited LB and ran it directly through Mame and with the lightgun still set to the right joystick, the left didn't do anything and the right remained wonky.

So what I think is happening... is maybe the "new" command line in LB     -keyboardprovider dinput     has something to do with it.   I went back and set the lightgun to <None> for both X and Y (just press Del).  Direct through Mame no joy (no pun intended).  Launching through LB, the left Joystick was working smoothly (and the right not doing anything).  I also tested in BigBox with the same results.

Setting them to JOY1 you do get the 'snap-back' to center screen when you let go.  Setting to <None>, you do not (when launching though LB).

Also, setting to <None> and launching through LB, when you go to settings [tab] and then go to Analog Controls, any adjustments you make to the lightgun settings actually do something for the joystick.  This is good.

So, Kind of a bizarre 'fix', but seems to work here.

Thanks Joe,

My games do not launch with the -keyboardprovider dinput command-line so I had to remove it from the Emulation setup.  I am using MAME64.EXE and this switch is not supported.  Therefore I cannot recreate what you just posted.  Any ideas?

14 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

I set up Star Wars to use a flight stick before and it does take some tweaking of settings to get it to feel better than the default. Maybe the steps that I took will apply to what you are looking for here.

Thanks for sharing this.  Star Wars now works quite nicely with the DS4 analog controls.  Using the same settings on the shooters such as Operation Wolf or Operation Thunderbolt does not produce the same result.

That works great for Star Wars!  Thank @Lordmonkus!

For the Input, Star Wars uses the AD Stick whereas Operation Wolf uses a Lightgun.  So I think the Analog Controls don't really do much for a lightgun.  Maybe kind of an apples and oranges thing.

@LMD75  in mame.ini, just below joystick_deadzone is joystick_saturation.  By default it's set to 0.85.  Try changing that to 1.  It's seems to help some.  Either that or with all this testing, I'm getting more gentile with the control stick. lol

5 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

Maybe kind of an apples and oranges thing.

That is quite possible, I didn't even think of that because I didn't really think of Operation Wolf as a light gun game. Unlike other light gun games where the gun is separated and only attached via a cord, Operation Wolfs gun was fixed to the arcade machine and you tilted up/down and side to side so it acted more like an analog stick.

IMG_1205.JPG

• Like 1