LaunchBox Community Forums

SSD platform performance gains? Which ones make the biggest difference?

cleverest

Leaving side caching the images folder/cache + manuals + videos on a SSD, which obviously do help, do any platforms/games actually benefit greatly from SSD?

I can't put them all on SSD, most will be set up on a 4TB SATA USB 3.0 drive, but have about 200GB SSD I can install certain emulators/game sets on...which ones will I see the most gains from?  Thanks.

Edited by cleverest

I don't know, i only run my OS and large open world games with significant loading times off an SSD. All my emulation is done on a mechanical drive and uncompressed so load times aren't a big deal.

Personally I would be worried about having constant read / write cycles such as extracting files temporarily on an SSD and wearing it out faster than needed.

2 hours ago, cleverest said:

You think real-time compression formats like .GZ (ps2) and .GC (gamecube) would benefit greatly, over say, just a large .ISO?

is .GC a compressed file format?

I just purchased a SSD drive purely for this. It should arrive tomorrow... I am hoping for some speed ups. Especially with ePSXe as I have been having some issues with it which I think may be caused by my current HDD. I'll let you know on my experience... I'd be interested to know yours too?...

2 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

I don't know, i only run my OS and large open world games with significant loading times off an SSD. All my emulation is done on a mechanical drive and uncompressed so load times aren't a big deal.

Personally I would be worried about having constant read / write cycles such as extracting files temporarily on an SSD and wearing it out faster than needed.

So is this what happens with .GC files? also what other files whould this do this with, just so I can maximise the life of my SSD by avoiding these sort of files?

16 minutes ago, 7ank0v1c said:

I just purchased a SSD drive purely for this. It should arrive tomorrow... I am hoping for some speed ups. Especially with ePSXe as I have been having some issues with it which I think may be caused by my current HDD.

This is highly unlikely unless your drive is failing. A mechanical driver, even a slower 5400 rpm one is more than fast enough to push PS1 CD images through faster than the emulator needs it.

Like I said above, all my emulation is on a mechanical drive and the drive is more than fast enough for even the slower to load stuff like Wii U and PS3 games.

1 minute ago, Lordmonkus said:

This is highly unlikely unless your drive is failing. A mechanical driver, even a slower 5400 rpm one is more than fast enough to push PS1 CD images through faster than the emulator needs it.

Like I said above, all my emulation is on a mechanical drive and the drive is more than fast enough for even the slower to load stuff like Wii U and PS3 games.

Yeah, I suspected this to be honest. I dont know whats up with my set up. Its furiatingly annoying. I just don't seem to be able to get consisten results out of ePSXe. I managed to get it to work fine recently on two computers, but then testing it on another its just keeps stuttering. Its so annoying. i figured it might be my portable HDD. So I will try the SSD when it comes. The interesting thing is it seems to be alittle better on my other portable HDD. It might be failing, although I just today wiped it and error checked it but no problems. We'll see soon enought though I guess.

In regards to compressed files though?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 2:20 AM, 7ank0v1c said:

In regards to compressed files though?

The .gcm GameCube files are not compressed. They have had all the junk data taken out of them, and the .gc or .gcm file is what is left. These files run directly on the emulator with no writing to your SSD so don't worry.

.wbfs files for the Nintendo Wii (which also run in Dolphin) are the same sort of stripped down files which don't need decompressing and run directly in Dolphin.

Edited by JamesBond@ge