LaunchBox Community Forums

Hold button mandatory?

kal9000

I've recently started enjoying the Controller Automation feature; it's a great way to pause a running game and pull up a manual, reset, or close the game!

However, it seems like you have to set a 'hold button', otherwise the 'show pause screen' option doesn't work. If i clear the binding on 'hold button', then I can't get 'show pause screen' to work any more. I'd love it if I could pull this up with one button. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Not sure if it's work with LaunchBox pause screen... but have you tried redirecting the pause button/command in you specific emulator?  

The problem I think is most the buttons are tied up to be used to play an actual game.  Hence the hold button which actually adds more functionality to ones' controller.

10 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

Thanks but I don't think it's that; when I bind the hold button then the two-button combination works. It seems like the Controller Automation is set to not fire if you don't have a hold button set.

For controllers there is no option in Launchbox to bind to a single button. You can with a keyboard key. This is likely due to the fact a controller is limited in buttons and it could conflict with controls in game.

Seems sensible. My use case is that the cabinet I'm installing this one has this one separate 'back' button that would be perfect for this. Setting it up at work, so would be great if I didn't have to explain to everyone that you need to press two buttons together to pull up the menu.

1 minute ago, kal9000 said:

Seems sensible. My use case is that the cabinet I'm installing this one has this one separate 'back' button that would be perfect for this. Setting it up at work, so would be great if I didn't have to explain to everyone that you need to press two buttons together to pull up the menu.

You may be able to script an Auto Hot Key to do this. I am not versed in AHK so could not assist. I would suggest posting in the AHK thread and see if someone can chime in. We have a couple users that are pretty experienced.

@kal9000 tell us more about your cab.  

For example, my cab uses I-Pac/2 to control all the buttons. Which are all basically keystrokes on the keyboard.1922978634_MDControllerstop(Small)(1).thumb.jpeg.48d4b54d5b909a45043228969507f58b.jpegIn BigBox, the Player 1 button (top row, left) acts as Select and the Play/Pause (top, middle) acts as Back.  The Play/Pause button (assigned to "P" on the keyboard) also pauses the game to bring up the LB/BB Pause screen. 

Granted, to hit "Enter", you press 'Player 1 + Player 1 Coin' (top 2 left buttons) and to hit "Esc", it's 'Player 1 + Play/Pause'.  But that's how it's assigned in I-Pac.

Also for BigBox, I assigned the 'Player-1-Controls  - Button 1' (lower left green button) to Start Game.  Vs. when looking at the game you want to play, press Select (which brings up the games menu) and pressing Select again to Play. This assignment doesn't interfere with in-game play.

Again this is for cab controls.  Now if you're talking about handheld controllers... never mind. ?

• Like 1