LaunchBox Community Forums

Combined Roms on import confusion

kal9000

Hi there, I'm not clear how the 'combine roms with matching titles into a single game' during the import process works. I would have expected this to function the same as the 'Consolidate Rom' feature post-import, but they seem to function differently. If I run consolidate after an import in which I've combined roms, launchbox will find a few more matching titles to consolidate.

I think what's happening is that during import, it bases it off rom-name, but on consolidate it's based on the name coming from the game db.

For example, these two roms were left separate during import

- Wonder Boy - The Dragon's Trap (Europe)

- Wonder Boy III - The Dragon's Trap (Europe) (Beta)

However, they are combined during consolidate I believe because they both have the name in launchbox starting with 'Wonder Boy - The Dragon's Trap'.

Could anyone shed light on this? Is this an oversight? I'd love to be able to not have to consolidate post-import and just have it happen as part of the 'combine roms' feature.

Okay on import I could see them not being combined as they don't have the same title due to the III. I'm confused by the however sentence though what do you mean they are combined during consolidate? Do you mean a manual consolidate because during a manual consolidation you can combine any games you want even if they have nothing to do with each other.

Thanks for the replies!

@DOS76, wrt consolidation, I meant the option that launchbox offers under 'Tools -> Consolidate ROMS for {platform}'.

@neil9000, that's about what I expected. It seems to me that it ought to do a final pass once it has all the DB info and consolidate off DB names if the merge option was selected. Kind of confused me why it wasn't happening that way. Thoughts?