LaunchBox Community Forums

Custom Logo and Front box for Movies

silverchair

Hi helpful retro gamers,

I imported movies into my Launchbox instance following this nice tutorial 

However the movie scraper plugin does not work (it just does nothing when you select scrape movie). I saw multiple people have reported it no longer works, so at least I know it is not a problem on my end. However I still want to populate my movie collection with Clear logo and FrontEnd box images at least. I was trying to figure out how the relation between game and image works, but alas could not. In the C:\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms\MyMoviePlatform.xml I expected to have the links to the images, but nope. Can someone explain how do I point an entry from Launchbox to show particular image that I've copied over to LaunchBox\Images folder manually?

I apologize if there is docs or tutorial for this anywhere (although I doubt it, since Launchbox tries to automate these things).

Regards

7 minutes ago, silverchair said:

Hi helpful retro gamers,

I imported movies into my Launchbox instance following this nice tutorial 

However the movie scraper plugin does not work (it just does nothing when you select scrape movie). I saw multiple people have reported it no longer works, so at least I know it is not a problem on my end. However I still want to populate my movie collection with Clear logo and FrontEnd box images at least. I was trying to figure out how the relation between game and image works, but alas could not. In the C:\LaunchBox\Data\Platforms\MyMoviePlatform.xml I expected to have the links to the images, but nope. Can someone explain how do I point an entry from Launchbox to show particular image that I've copied over to LaunchBox\Images folder manually?

I apologize if there is docs or tutorial for this anywhere (although I doubt it, since Launchbox tries to automate these things).

Regards

That path is for images for the platform, not the actual contents of the platform. The path you want is Launchbox/Images/Movies or whatever you called the platform, and inside that create folders for Box-Front and Clear Logos if they  do not already exist and put your images in there. Images need to be named the same as the files you imported to match up correctly.

@neil9000I've tried Kodi and don't like its default setup. Maybe if I spend days reading and configuring I could make it appealing to my taste, but I just don't have the time and willingness to do that. I was hopping images would not be tied to the name 1:1, as for example I have 9 seasons of Masha and Medved TV series each season 10 series. So I kind of wanted to add single image and all episodes from 9 series could point to it .. or a single image for each season .. this way when tied to the name, I need to copy the same image 90 times and rename it according to the file name.

Is there really no other way?

16 minutes ago, silverchair said:

@neil9000I've tried Kodi and don't like its default setup. Maybe if I spend days reading and configuring I could make it appealing to my taste, but I just don't have the time and willingness to do that. I was hopping images would not be tied to the name 1:1, as for example I have 9 seasons of Masha and Medved TV series each season 10 series. So I kind of wanted to add single image and all episodes from 9 series could point to it .. or a single image for each season .. this way when tied to the name, I need to copy the same image 90 times and rename it according to the file name.

Is there really no other way?

Nope afraid not, Launchbox isnt designed for that sort of structure, its designed to launch games, and while it will launch anything you give it all the folder structures are setup with games in mind, not multi season TV shows, There are dedicated apps for that.

As for Kodi that can be skinned very easily by downloading skins from within the UI. Essentially though you are trying to force Launchbox to do something it wasnt specifically designed for, so there is going to be manual work involved for you if you are adamant on using Launchbox for your Movies and TV Shows.

@neil9000 My main concern is I am going to launch this PC directly in Big Box and it is not going to be a full blown Windows PC (Launchbox would be the shell). Main goal is for my kids to be able to start the machine and control everything from an XBOX controller. There would be no switching between apps, Launchbox is THE APP. Or maybe I misunderstood your suggestion? Is there Kodi/Launcbox API integration, so that I can setup the movies collection within Kodi but use Launchbox as the front end? If that is the case, then I won't care for Kodi's settings and looks.

12 minutes ago, silverchair said:

@neil9000 My main concern is I am going to launch this PC directly in Big Box and it is not going to be a full blown Windows PC (Launchbox would be the shell). Main goal is for my kids to be able to start the machine and control everything from an XBOX controller. There would be no switching between apps, Launchbox is THE APP. Or maybe I misunderstood your suggestion? Is there Kodi/Launcbox API integration, so that I can setup the movies collection within Kodi but use Launchbox as the front end? If that is the case, then I won't care for Kodi's settings and looks.

No there is no integration like that, but you can add any program you like to Launchbox, so say a "Windows Programs" platform and add the Kodi.exe to that so you can launch Kodi from within Launchbox/Bigbox. Alternatively there is a addon for Kodi that allows you to launch Bigbox from within the Kodi UI. Kodi does also have controller support as well.

I can vouch for Plex as being a really good front-end for movies / TV shows.

There's also a program called FileBot which will automagically rename your files in the way that Plex likes (i.e. name of the show - episode - season etc).

I use it for all our stuff and it automatically scrapes all the info and media for your TV/film collection. It also installs across multiple devices and syncs them all up so if you start watching something on your iPad and then switch to the TV it remembers where you are up to.

It also knows which TV episode you've watched so will start playing the next one in sequence. 

Plus a ton of other stuff... you could just launch the Plex player from your Launchbox ?

?

Edited by Johnny T