LaunchBox Community Forums

Commodore plus 4 emulation

Mr. RetroLust

I remember trying out the Plus/4 with MAME itself using the cart and flop sw lists.
Most of the cart games opened automatically, but the disk games just opened to the Basic screen with the Ready prompt.
Here you need to press F2 which types
DLOAD"
add the game name and the end quotes and press Return.
Once Loaded you need to press Shift+F3 (or was it Control+F3) to run the game.

There wasn't much in the games lineup apart from some text adventures and a few other games.
I think that typing KEY at the prompt brings up the Function Keys usage.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, spycat said:

I remember trying out the Plus/4 with MAME itself using the cart and flop sw lists.
Most of the cart games opened automatically, but the disk games just opened to the Basic screen with the Ready prompt.
Here you need to press F2 which types
DLOAD"
add the game name and the end quotes and press Return.
Once Loaded you need to press Shift+F3 (or was it Control+F3) to run the game.

There wasn't much in the games lineup apart from some text adventures and a few other games.
I think that typing KEY at the prompt brings up the Function Keys usage.

Thanks bro! I will try this out, maybe it works in this core as well. I think they are disk files indeed, prg files is what they called I think (not at the pc right now) theres two games I really love on this system; "Dork's Dilemma" and "Fire Ant" at least as far as I can remember, Fire Ant was also ported to other systems though but Dork's could be an exclusive game.

I don't have the Plus/4 in LaunchBox anymore, but I just dug out what I have backed up on an external drive. I've got enough to add it again to LaunchBox and refresh my vague memory.
By the way, I don't have either of those games in my cart cass or flop sw lists.

• Like 1

Well after importing again for some reason it works without changing anything bro lmao, computers work in mysterious ways sometimes don't they :) All I can think of is I updated the core which had a pause of a week or so in between which could indicate they might have worked on the core. Takes some figuring out which buttons do what, F11 takes you to the onscreen keyboard which is helpful in Dork's Dilemma's case as you need to press F1 to change controls to joystick, i'm off to play this game, haven't done so since I was a young kid, recommended if you like bomberman!

26 minutes ago, spycat said:

Also, with emulating the old home computers, you often launch games only to reach the BASIC screen with the prompt and no idea of what to do next. It's worth looking online for the machine's original user manual which may be found as a pdf.

Gotcha! Though some games just don't work within popular torrent batch downloads, downloading those manually from a very dedicated plus 4/C16 website seems to fix the problem after testing a few out. They will load automatically and fast through the plus 4 retroarch core. I must say this platform really aint that bad compared to C64. I like the C16 Fire Ant better than the C64 version but that could be just nostalgia.

• 3 weeks later...

Ι am using RetroArch core which is based on VICE.

Unfortunately VICE has poor emulation quality (eg the wonderful AlphaRay does not work properly) regarding Plus4 (YAPE is the only way but I am trying to stick to RetroArch cores as much as I can)

I was very unimpressed by the quantity of the artwork for the system.

I download a selection of good games (old and new) . LaunchboxDB and EmuMovies fetched too little content...

Is there any online Plus4 database with a covers for batch download?