LaunchBox Community Forums

Clean Up Media is not working when platform is deleted

dukeman

I would like to notify that Clean Up Media feature is not working when you will delete all the games from the platform (or the platform with all games).

Preconditions

1. Couple of games imported for one of the platforms (in my example Nintendo Game Boy) with images/media present (covers, boxes etc.).

Steps to reproduce

1. Delete all of the games from platform which is equal to platform delete (in my case I deleted all of the games from Nintendo Game Boy) then if no game the platform will dissapear which is ok

2. Launch Clean Up Media functionality from tools

3. After finished procedure of deleting unnecessary media note that they are still present on hdd in Launchbox/Images/Nintendo Game Boy/  (for example Box - Front)

If you will import back at least one game and then you will use Clean Up Media again then everything works correctly and unnecessary images will be deleted.

11 minutes ago, dukeman said:

I would like to notify that Clean Up Media feature is not working when you will delete all the games from the platform (or the platform with all games).

Preconditions

1. Couple of games imported for one of the platforms (in my example Nintendo Game Boy) with images/media present (covers, boxes etc.).

Steps to reproduce

1. Delete all of the games from platform which is equal to platform delete (in my case I deleted all of the games from Nintendo Game Boy) then if no game the platform will dissapear which is ok

2. Launch Clean Up Media functionality from tools

3. After finished procedure of deleting unnecessary media note that they are still present on hdd in Launchbox/Images/Nintendo Game Boy/  (for example Box - Front)

If you will import back at least one game and then you will use Clean Up Media again then everything works correctly and unnecessary images will be deleted.

To be honest if you are deleting the whole platform you can just go and delete the whole image folder, which is quicker and easier. So in this case just go to Launchbox/Images and delete the whole gameboy folder. The clean up images tool is more for removing duplicate images and images for individual games that have been deleted. Hence "Cleanup Media" and not "Delete Platform Media" or similar.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

To be honest if you are deleting the whole platform you can just go and delete the whole image folder, which is quicker and easier. So in this case just go to Launchbox/Images and delete the whole gameboy folder. The clean up images tool is more for removing duplicate images and images for games that have individual games that have been deleted. Hence "Cleanup Media" and not "Delete Platform Media" or similar.

Of course I did that, it's not a problem at all if you know how it is working :), but normally by intuition the user can expect that it will also be deleted. I only just wanted to put the information so the users can now about it.

2 minutes ago, dukeman said:

Of course I did that, it's not a problem at all if you know how it is working :), but normally by intuition the user can expect that it will also be deleted. I only just wanted to put the information so the users can now about it.

Yeah it may just be a oversight by @Jason Carr, but i believe the way it currently works is it scans the platform.xml and matches that against image names and deletes images that dont have a matching game in the platform.xml. So i guess if you deleted a platform there is no platform.xml to match against so it does nothing. I guess the way it should work is if there is no platform.xml for a platform it should delete all media for that platform,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think in it's current form though, it would be too dangerous to just delete files in the platform's default locations if that platform doesn't exist. People can put the platform folders anywhere they want, but if the platform that defines where those folders are is gone, then unfortunately it's too dangerous to just assume a location and delete the files. Thankfully though it's really easy to just delete the media folders for an old platform from the file system.