LaunchBox Community Forums

Invalid mode supplied: "mame"

Gunnderson

My arcade box upgraded LaunchBox to 10.1 this morning and all of a sudden I get this message for all games:   Invalid mode supplied: "mame". 

Nothing is playable anymore.... what happened??? 

From some googling I did, it seems to be a RocketLauncher error of some kind. I haven't updated Launchbox in probably 6+ months or so; something has obviously changed from whatever 9.x version I was on to 10.1.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? It took me forever to figure out RocketLauncher with all the bezels etc, so I'm at a loss of where to even start right now, and not looking forward to trouble shooting lol

20190912_094334.jpg

Well if you were on a version before 9.2 then one thing that will cause issues with Rocketlauncher are the new Startup screens that were implemented in 9.2. Startups within Launchbox and Startups from Rocket Launcher will not work together. You will have to turn off one of them. Not saying that is what is causing this issue, just letting you know it is something known to not work together. 

There has been a recent Windows 10 update that mixed with things like Riva Tuner/MSI Afterburner and even virus protection like Kaspersky has caused issues with the recent Launchbox updates. If you are using any of those turn them off and test some games. 

Are you on Win7 or Win10?  

I do not use RL so cannot really comment much more on troubleshooting with it. Just giving some heads up on issues we have recently seen. 

• Like 1

Thanks @Retro808. All good stuff. It would help to know what version you upgraded from, if possible @Gunnderson. That would help to figure out if it's an issue with the startup/pause screens or not. You can disable those though under Tools > Options > Game Startup and Tools > Options > Game Pause in LaunchBox, and separately in the same locations in Big Box.

Thanks for the reply @Retro808and @Jason Carr.  I am on Win 10 and reason for lack of updates is I dont have my Mame Cab hooked up to the internet. So this morning I decided to hook it up after probably atleast 6 months and update.  There was a Win10 update along with the Launchbox update.  

I don't use Kaprasky or Riva Tuner/MSI Afterburner.

I tried your suggestion @Jason Carr regarding the startup but with either setting on or off i get the same results in both launchbox and bigbox mode. SOrry but i dont know what version was before, but I believe it was above 9.2

i have no idea what is going on.

when i run the games straight from mame everything works so its not mame itself causing this. WHen I run a test rom with RocketLauncher it also works fine.

Edited by Gunnderson

@Gunnderson I think I know what happened, after seeing that screenshot. It's an odd situation that you would have an emulator called MAME and that is actually Rocket Launcher. A new version came out several versions ago that automatically added "-keyboardprovider dinput" to the command-line paramaters for MAME, in order to solve a number of issues. But that did not work correctly because it's actually Rocket Launcher and not MAME. So I think all you need to do is just remove "-keyboardprovider dinput" from the command-line parameters for that emulator. I would also recommend not calling the emulator MAME, because that may cause further problems in the future.

16 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Gunnderson I think I know what happened, after seeing that screenshot. It's an odd situation that you would have an emulator called MAME and that is actually Rocket Launcher. A new version came out several versions ago that automatically added "-keyboardprovider dinput" to the command-line paramaters for MAME, in order to solve a number of issues. But that did not work correctly because it's actually Rocket Launcher and not MAME. So I think all you need to do is just remove "-keyboardprovider dinput" from the command-line parameters for that emulator. I would also recommend not calling the emulator MAME, because that may cause further problems in the future.

@Jason Carr @Retro808 Yes thank you that did it!  But this message came up from LB upon saving.  I just hit NO and I'm back in action! Thanks for the help to get it working again!  I'm currently on Mame 0.208, so if I upgrade to the latest version I would have to put the command line back in?

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Gunnderson

47 minutes ago, Gunnderson said:

@Jason Carr @Retro808 Yes thank you that did it!  But this message came up from LB upon saving.  I just hit NO and I'm back in action! Thanks for the help to get it working again!  I'm currently on Mame 0.208, so if I upgrade to the latest version I would have to put the command line back in?

Untitled.jpg

.208  should not have had a problem with that code. It would have been an issue for a version way older than that (I think version below .175 or something like that). I still have .206 running on a machine with no issue. I do not use RocketLauncher so that might be something to consider. So there may be a different conflict with Rocket Launcher.

That command line allows the new Pause screen options to work. Without it the Pause screen still shows, the options just do not work (save state, load state, etc...).

The problem is not MAME, and it's not related to the version of MAME at all. The problem is that the emulator is actually pointed to Rocket Launcher, while you've called the emulator MAME. So first off, I would highly recommend changing the emulator name so that MAME is not in the name of the emulator, to avoid stuff like this from automatically happening again. The MAME version doesn't matter; if you launch the Rocket Launcher emulator and add those parameters, it will break it.

Removing the mame override will "work" but that will use the legacy RL command line syntax.

Like Jason said you should create a RocketLauncher emulator instead of individual system emulators though. The params for RL are the same regardless of system so there's no point in creating multiple emulators for it. Doing so will also use the current RL command line syntax as from what I recall LB has that built in already.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent47 said:

Removing the mame override will "work" but that will use the legacy RL command line syntax.

Like Jason said you should create a RocketLauncher emulator instead of individual system emulators though. The params for RL are the same regardless of system so there's no point in creating multiple emulators for it. Doing so will also use the current RL command line syntax as from what I recall LB has that built in already.

Yeah, agreed. Would be best to just select Rocket Launcher from the list of emulators and create a new one. Then that one emulator can handle all platforms.