LaunchBox Community Forums

Error: Your system is running out of memory (RAM) and Launchbox cannot continue

atomicknight

I'm getting this error recently after version 9.0.  I've updated to 10.1 and the same issue happens.  After a few minutes, the error message pops up, and Launchbox shuts down.  My computer currently has 16GB ram on Windows 7 with a 2GB video card and the correct and updated drivers.  All emulators work outside of Launchbox and in GameEx frontend.  Launchbox worked flawlessly until recently.  Has anyone else gotten this issue, and did you find out why?

Edit:  An additional thought occurred to me.  I did add quite a few new roms after a MAME update around that time.  The art cache might be filling up the ram.  Is there a way to disable or change the art cache function?  I tried using just a list of roms instead of any graphics, and the error comes up the same.

Edited by atomicknight

• 1 year later...
41 minutes ago, Tackett1980 said:

This is old but I’m bumping it.  I’m having the same issue after I leave big box running for a few hours.   

any ideas?

Your issue is not the same. The original post was related to LB. You might want to keep an eye in this thread. We brought it up some more and Jason has taken a look and tried some things. For me the crashes no longer happen as frequently. I have been able to go many days up to even a week, but BB will eventually crash if left in attract mode. 

10 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Your issue is not the same. The original post was related to LB. You might want to keep an eye in this thread. We brought it up some more and Jason has taken a look and tried some things. For me the crashes no longer happen as frequently. I have been able to go many days up to even a week, but BB will eventually crash if left in attract mode. 

Well, it may not be exactly the same since it is big box crashing and not launch box.  But I am getting the same exact error as is in the title of this thread and it has nothing to do with attract mode as it does it whether attract mode is active or not.  It just started doing this after this update, if that’s relevant or not.

55 minutes ago, Tackett1980 said:

Well, it may not be exactly the same since it is big box crashing and not launch box.  But I am getting the same exact error as is in the title of this thread and it has nothing to do with attract mode as it does it whether attract mode is active or not.  It just started doing this after this update, if that’s relevant or not.

Going off information on another post of yours about BigBox crashing and attract mode being unstable for you that is another reason why I made the recommendation. The memory error is also something seen in BigBox attract mode crashes. LB memory leaks were related to something different than what was being looked at in BigBox.

If you are getting an error and crashing in things other than attract mode it would be helpful to the team if you provided specific details as to what is going on. I would still recommend posting in that thread as it is one Jason has responded in and would be useful to get another users info on crashes to hopefully see what is going on.

14 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Going off information on another post of yours about BigBox crashing and attract mode being unstable for you that is another reason why I made the recommendation. The memory error is also something seen in BigBox attract mode crashes. LB memory leaks were related to something different than what was being looked at in BigBox.

If you are getting an error and crashing in things other than attract mode it would be helpful to the team if you provided specific details as to what is going on. I would still recommend posting in that thread as it is one Jason has responded in and would be useful to get another users info on crashes to hopefully see what is going on.

Will do thanks.